My First 78 Finds

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Governor Flyball
Victor II

Re: My First 78 Finds

Post by Governor Flyball »

I have been collecting 78's for more than 60 years. Back in the sixties, I thought these titles would dry up. I am so glad many are still in the field.

I like rare opera singers and early (acoustical) orchestral and you made and excellent find today and a bargain to boot!

I am drooling over the 1908 Grand Prize disc as it is a rare example of a lesser known American opera star Helene Noldi who only made a few records all before WW1:
http://forgottenoperasingers.blogspot.c ... o.html?m=1

Even the electric Martinelli recording is a lesser know title.

Over all all the records are desirable and each has significant historical context.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

You'll enjoy those records, undoubtedly. From an eclectic music lover, in that lot you have pieces which are a must in any collection, and some rarities too. But listen to them, feel free to say this one I like, this one not... and enjoy. Important the advice on the playing speeds... I've had many 78s which I didn't like, until I discovered the right speeds at which they should be played to sound natural... Some pieces are played fast to fit in four minutes, pay attention to the sound of voices and instruments.
Other thing: strings used to be substituted by special horned instruments to record acoustical recordings like those (stroh violins, google for it) and might sound unnatural to your ears.
You'll find acoustic 78s (pre-1925, recorded directly on a horn, no mics not amplifiers) sounding 'rare' when compared with later electrical recordings. But keep on the track, listen to them for a while and you'll start to get used to them soon. You'll find that some of them sound great, once you're used to them.
And welcome to this Wonderful World of Treasures...! :)
Inigo

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Unless It’s s some Paramount/Black Patti/Black Swan blues, pre-1905 label, or post 1955 Rock / Doo Wop record, or certain country or hot jazz titles, or certain titles made famous in movies, it’s not gonna be worth much. But that’s ok. Most collections don’t contain those expensive unless you’re lucky to find In the wild once on a blue moon items. Many people have it in their minds that the music must be the greatest if it’s rare or expensive. Buy what you enjoy. Don’t worry about monetary value.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:32 am Unless It’s s some Paramount/Black Patti/Black Swan blues, pre-1905 label, or post 1955 Rock / Doo Wop record, or certain country or hot jazz titles, or certain titles made famous in movies, it’s not gonna be worth much. But that’s ok. Most collections don’t contain those expensive unless you’re lucky to find In the wild once on a blue moon items. Many people have it in their minds that the music must be the greatest if it’s rare or expensive. Buy what you enjoy. Don’t worry about monetary value.
...or Caruso on Zonophone or Pathé, or Edouard Risler on Pathé, or Moritz Rosenthal on Edison lateral, or Carl Flesch on electrical Edison diamond disc...or...

Contrary to popular opinion, by no means *all* classical 78s are worthless. ;) That said, a good point here: as a collector friend has pointed out to me, common records are common for a reason, and vice-versa. The real rarities often are rare because they weren't enjoyable enough, relative to the common records, to sell well when they were new.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That's exactly why Tommy Johnson's "Alcohol and Jake Blues" is so rare... People smashed them after the first play... :lol: :lol: :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayltwUwpW04
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

My 2000 to 3000 records (along with a similar number of LPs) are primarily operatic and classical recordings which I realize are of almost no interest to most collectors, with the exception of some rare sides, but they are my interest and I derive a lot of pleasure from them—that is more important to me than their value (and I’m sure that my daughter could not care less about them when I’m gone).

Bill

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

BillH_NJ wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:28 pm My 2000 to 3000 records (along with a similar number of LPs) are primarily operatic and classical recordings which I realize are of almost no interest to most collectors, with the exception of some rare sides, but they are my interest and I derive a lot of pleasure from them—that is more important to me than their value (and I’m sure that my daughter could not care less about them when I’m gone).

Bill
Hear, hear. I feel the same way.

Much can be learned from older operatic and orchestral performances. I personally like to listen to a wide range of music and the artists in the discs here are not to be dismissed.

Even perhaps the most humble recording from Greg's Peer Gynt is worth a listen. It was recorded towards the end of Charles Prince's tenure as musical director for Columbia. It is curious to compare his attempts at the new jazz in his recording of the Dardanella about the same time.

I have a number of different versions of the Prologo from Pagliacci but have not heard the Giuseppe Danise version.

To me the value of these records is in the enjoyment they yield to whoever appreciates them.
Last edited by Governor Flyball on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Town Mouse
Victor Jr

Post by Johnny Town Mouse »

Again I appreciate you all chiming in, awesome discussions about playback speeds, scarcity vs. rarity and the importance of listening to what you like and being aware of a discs historical significance regardless of its perceived value. Music collecting sure is a fun hobby!

PS - Ditto to the people who mentioned how classical records aren't usually as valuable but who enjoy them anyway. I love Deutsche Grammophon, Decca and Phillips,' 33rpm dics for so many reasons beyond value. Looking forward to adding some more classical 78s to the ole library. 8-)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I love classical 78s, and here in Spain these are also undervalued, especially the best ones (Columbia and hmv from the electric era) and one really finds marvels!
The common records are common because they pressed and sold in huge quantities, because they were good and people bought them.
Inigo

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I remember my first 78 finds back in 1968. Since that time, I have bought, sold, and traded lots of records. I still have some in my collection that were purchased in 1969. As you play the records and decide what you like best, a phonograph show (like the one in August in California) is a great place to get the titles that interest you most. You may have to pay a little more for certain records, but it is worth it to be searching and visiting with other collectors.
Don