Garage Sale Finds 8/21/21

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Garage Sale Finds 8/21/21

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well it’s certainly been a little over a year since I got a Lot of records locally and I certainly did as decent as I could for only $5! As usual I took a walk around my little town today and I came across a garage sale. Never to pass one up i walk over to this lady’s garage to find old film cameras and accessories! The lady running it “said you’re into old cameras?” And I said “Yes old cameras and vintage audio like records.” And the lady said “Oh I have some records for sale” and the pointed to a Fresh Step litter container under a table filled with my favorite type of record …78s!!! And not some red Columba’s or black Deccas we all groan about but records from the 1900s-1920s era! All for $5!! And here’s the highlights: nothing too rare or obscure…and thankfully it was light on the “Irish mother heart songs ” but a few titles did have the word “mammy” in the title… :? I haven’t had the chance to clean them all up but the records are pretty filthy from sitting in that cat litter container for who knows how long. Unfortunately a couple of titles are cracked but none were broken.
Attachments
The oldest record of the bunch…
The oldest record of the bunch…
And the newest…
And the newest…
How I found the records
How I found the records
An ODJB Record I don’t have much of them
An ODJB Record I don’t have much of them
Some pre-1908 grand prize discs one is cracked
Some pre-1908 grand prize discs one is cracked
I had the Paul Whiteman instrumental version but not the original
I had the Paul Whiteman instrumental version but not the original
I doubled the amount of Pathé sapphire discs I have.
I doubled the amount of Pathé sapphire discs I have.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Garage Sale Finds 8/21/21

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Nice find!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's a great haul Andy.
I'm jealous that you found that Perry Como record. I've wanted that for a long time but so far have failed to find it.
Maybe one day lol.
I'd love to find some records from the 20's in my area too. Seems everything I've found in the last decade have all been 40's and 50's records.
Congratulations, and enjoy.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice find. The best moment is when she says "there are some old records there" and to start browsing thru.... How exciting! Isn't it :D ?
Inigo

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

gramophoneshane wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:29 am That's a great haul Andy.
I'm jealous that you found that Perry Como record. I've wanted that for a long time but so far have failed to find it.
Maybe one day lol.
I'd love to find some records from the 20's in my area too. Seems everything I've found in the last decade have all been 40's and 50's records.
Congratulations, and enjoy.
It's a matter of demographics. The records that turn up are the ones being cleaned out of garages and attics and basements as the generation that originally bought them moves to smaller quarters or, alas, to cemeteries. At this point, it's the late WW II on up to the end of 78s group; the people who bought '20s/'30s records are mostly gone by now. In another 10 years or so 78s will dry up completely except coming from dealers or from other collectors, if they haven't already.

Back when I started collecting in the mid-'70s or so, junk stores and the like were awash in '20s/'30s records. Move up into the '90s, it was big band records from the late '30s and '40s. And so on.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I still come across plenty of teen's 20's, 30's, batwings, etc. without much searching, "in the wild". They may be gone in ten years, but something tells me there'll still be some around. I don't find many Monarchs though.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wolfe wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:46 pm I still come across plenty of teen's 20's, 30's, batwings, etc. without much searching, "in the wild". They may be gone in ten years, but something tells me there'll still be some around. I don't find many Monarchs though.
I know it’s been about 6 years since the last one I’ve found that was that old.