Please help ID this cylinder record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Please help ID this cylinder record

Post by chriswch2003 »

I found an apparently rare cylinder record in an auction lot: "The Old Clown", sung by Fred Vernon on a Sterling 2-min gold moulded wax cylinder 755. The record plays loud and clear, but I was not able to understand the announcement. When searching for more details, I did not find any indication of its existence. Can I get help as to what the announcement wording is, the title of the song, the composer, the lyrics, the Orchestral Acct. and where I may find the discography of Fred Vernon aka Harry Fay. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_9537.jpg

Wagnerian
Victor II

Re: Please help ID this cylinder record

Post by Wagnerian »

Sterling was a British cylinder manufacturer although it was founded by two Americans, Louis Sterling and Russell Hunting. The company was formed in December 1904 but failed in June 1908. The name "Sterling" was ressurected in February 1909 but that too failed in April 1910.

Your record No 755 was released in March 1907 and was composed by George Everard with words by Arthur Mills.

The normal format for announcements are "Title", "Artiste" and "Sterling Records" so it should be : The Old Clown sung by Mr Fred Vernon Sterling Records. Unless you can post a recording of the actual announcement on here I'm unable to suggest what else it might be.

This information was taken from the CLPGS Reference Series No.6 "The Ultimate Cylinder Handbook" being brief history and listing of all cylinder records (77,000 so far) and manufacturers known to date. Priced at £16.00 GBP including free postage world wide. Purchase on line at www.clpgs.org.uk/reference-series.html

Hope this helps

TW-W

chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Post by chriswch2003 »

Thank you so much, it helps. I will make a short youtube video and post it here. Thank you again,
Kris

chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Post by chriswch2003 »

Here is the link to a short youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOSOl022CMk

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

There appears to be a needle run in the announcment but as far as I can tell it is "The Old Clown sung by Fred Vernon, Sterling Records".

I think the pronunciation of the word "old" as "old-a" is simply the manner of speaking in 19th/20th century England.

A nice record though. Sterling records are made of a quite soft wax compound, like Clarions, so play them with care.

Regards

Tim W-W

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Wagnerian wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:47 am Sterling records are made of a quite soft wax compound, like Clarions, so play them with care.

Regards

Tim W-W
I noticed this recently when I played a bunch of Sterling and Clarion cylinders on my Amberola 1a. The Model M reproducer is way too heavy for these cylinders, and although I've never noticed any damage when using a Model C reproducer, I think it's probably best to treat these like brown wax and only play them with a Model B (sapphire) in future.

chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Post by chriswch2003 »

Thank you so much for helping me understand what I have here. I indeed found the needle run under a magnifying glass. My Columbia BF has a Lyric T-3 reproducer, that I also used for brown wax. Is that ok?

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

The T-3 reproducer has a spring tension which I would have thought might be too heavy for brown wax, but if it works for you...

The rule of thumb I use is, if there appears to be a light dusting of swarf or shavings on your record after playing, then your reproducer is too heavy. I found exactly the same thing as Gramophoneshane when playing Sterlings or Clarions with an "M" reproducer. I now treat them very carefully although they seem to survive being played by a Model C.

Regards

Tim W-W

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Ideas from a cylinder prophane: what if you disengage the driving feedscrew and start the reproducer in a blank area of the cylinder... Then you could watch if it leaves any marks... i.e. a new groove... The feedscrew is not easy to disengage and make the phonograph play in a fixed position of the reproducer, isn't it? maybe disengaging the belt and moving the mandrel by hand?
Inigo