"Maybe an institution would love to house this big collection..."

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Henry
Victor V

Re: "Maybe an institution would love to house this big collection..."

Post by Henry »

David, I know where LeRoy NY is, having passed the exit for it on I-81 many times on my trips to the North Country, and I'd like to know where this museum is located. Thanks for directions!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

marcapra wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:34 am What I've heard about museums is some will take your stuff and house it for a couple of years. After two years, they can sell it or dump it or give it away.
Yes, and no reputable museum will tell you that they won't do any different, if they so choose. In most cases, it's the donor that has unrealistic expectations and not a case of a deceiptful, evil museum. When you give something away, it now belongs so someone else, to do with as they please. It's not the donor's place to tell them how to use it or enjoy it or display it. If somebody gave any one of us an item, then dictated the rules of how we are to use it, display it, or own it, until our dying day, we'd probably say, "no thanks".

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That's true. If you don't want them to throw it away or use it in some other way... just don't give it! But I understand this... We loving collectors, want to get rid of something, but we want the receiver to be an extension of ourselves, and this simply doesn't work that way!
Inigo

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

The previous owner of the thorn needle business said more than once that he was thinking of finally donating everything to a museum. Even if a museum had agreed, I think a quantity of raw cactus spines and several very old, small, makeshift machines would never have seen the light of day again. I'm very glad I'd asked him a few years previously to contact me before that happened, and then gently asked him occasionally! Not for the income, which isn't much but gives me a bit of pin money here and there for my collecting, but for the pleasure, satisfaction and a MUCH more real, living kind of historical preservation.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

:cry:
I used to buy 78s since 1980 at a store in Madrid which was there since 1940s or maybe earlier. Devoted most to 78s and gramophones, accesories, needle tins, they also did repair work, etc. The very same they were doing all life, but the only difference was that in 1980 all records were second hand :D and no more new stock. Well. A nice shop where you could find anything. The chief then was the son of the original owner, which until the 90s was still there around. They were not cheap, but they always had a high pile of cheap 12"s, mostly classic.
I quited from going there for some years. Later in 2016 or so, I started to go there again, but he was semi-retired, and his daughter managed the site, which was also dealing with vinyl, although continued with 78s. I started to happen to find the old man in the bus, while going home from work, and we chatted a lot about the hobby and the old times. One day he told me they wanted to transfer the business to someone interested, or finally sell everything out and close it. I suspected he was proposing me... my blood froze! But I finally didn't say anything and let it pass... Simply I didn't had the courage to invest there and take it. Later I didn't meet him anymore, and the store closed.
Sometimes I think about it, and still I feel the fear as if I was to make such change in my life... But I deeply regret not to have had the courage to jump in then.. . Chances in life simply happen one day, and you make a decision that could be right or wrong. One never knows...
Since a very small boy I've loved cars, records and playing machines, music, etc, and when I discovered gramophones and 78s at 12, I knew this was my Life's Love. But never dared to try to make a life on that... I'm always in the belief that if the hobby would became my daily work, I could end hating it... Just an hour ago I was amazed at the point of crying and feeling something in my spine, while playing Tino Rossi's rendition of Pearl Fisher's aria Je suis entendre encore, and the Berceuse from Jocelyn, in my hmv127. I don't want to loose that emotion and intensity of such musical-gramophonic experiences! Am I a coward?
Is it common, when starting to get older, that feeling about what one's life could have been if a different course had been taken?
Am I getting too serious? Sorry for that... ;)
Inigo

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Orchorsol wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:02 pm The previous owner of the thorn needle business said more than once that he was thinking of finally donating everything to a museum. Even if a museum had agreed, I think a quantity of raw cactus spines and several very old, small, makeshift machines would never have seen the light of day again. I'm very glad I'd asked him a few years previously to contact me before that happened, and then gently asked him occasionally! Not for the income, which isn't much but gives me a bit of pin money here and there for my collecting, but for the pleasure, satisfaction and a MUCH more real, living kind of historical preservation.
What you have done Andy is just brilliant and the whole gramophone/phonograph world owes you a huge debt of gratitude. You have quite literally ensured the future of our great interest by guaranteeing the supply of the best thorn needles, unobtainable anywhere else in the world, during your lifetime. Châpeau mon ami !

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

emgcr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:51 pm
Orchorsol wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:02 pm The previous owner of the thorn needle business said more than once that he was thinking of finally donating everything to a museum. Even if a museum had agreed, I think a quantity of raw cactus spines and several very old, small, makeshift machines would never have seen the light of day again. I'm very glad I'd asked him a few years previously to contact me before that happened, and then gently asked him occasionally! Not for the income, which isn't much but gives me a bit of pin money here and there for my collecting, but for the pleasure, satisfaction and a MUCH more real, living kind of historical preservation.
What you have done Andy is just brilliant and the whole gramophone/phonograph world owes you a huge debt of gratitude. You have quite literally ensured the future of our great interest by guaranteeing the supply of the best thorn needles, unobtainable anywhere else in the world, during your lifetime. Châpeau mon ami !
Extremely kind of you to say so Graham, many thanks! On a vast scale by comparison, I'm pleasantly surprised and heartened that Ron Sitko's business will continue.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

deleted duplicate post
Last edited by Orchorsol on Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Orchorsol wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:54 am
Inigo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:57 pm ... I knew this was my Life's Love. But never dared to try to make a life on that... I'm always in the belief that if the hobby would became my daily work, I could end hating it... Just an hour ago I was amazed at the point of crying and feeling something in my spine, while playing Tino Rossi's rendition of Pearl Fisher's aria Je suis entendre encore, and the Berceuse from Jocelyn, in my hmv127. I don't want to loose that emotion and intensity of such musical-gramophonic experiences! Am I a coward?
Is it common, when starting to get older, that feeling about what one's life could have been if a different course had been taken?
Am I getting too serious? Sorry for that... ;)
I don't think you're alone in any of that, Inigo - I had similar concerns about both music and gramophones/audio etc - that the needs and repetitiveness of making a living would take all the joy away - also fears that I would never be able to make enough income. The false need to have some kind of prestigious and lucrative career was instilled in me from a young age, which I rebelled against in subconscious and corrosive ways. Such is life, for some of us! 😐

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

emgcr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:51 pm
I second that! Andy became the worldwide sole source for a key element of our hobby, the thorn needles!