De-Thump

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

De-Thump

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Group,

Podcast # 79 of mine features "Mamie" by Frank Silver's Dance Orchestra on an Edison Diamond Disc. Like many of the Edison Diamond Discs, this one had low frequency "thumps" caused by defects in the disc surface. I was able to remove them (method in my Handbook) from the song and as such, try listening to the music with good quality speakers instead of the usual computer ones and you should not hear them (they were throughout the song).

For that matter, all of my podcasts feature a wide range of music frequencies as the Diamond Discs were "State of the Art".

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1449838/9140 ... estra-1925

Marc

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: De-Thump

Post by audiophile102 »

I enjoy playing foxtrots on my A250 Edison Diamond Disc phonograph and it's clear to me that the Edison factory were ahead of the competition. I wish Edison had produced more great recordings like Mamie. Thanks for posting the podcast. :D
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Re: De-Thump

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

audiophile102,

Thanks for the comments. As I work through the many Edison Diamond Disc recordings I have, I continue to be amazed at the quality of music that they made using a metal horn coupled to a recorder. How they were able to made a well balanced sound without a large mixing board is truly amazing!

Marc (vic trolla)