Does this Pathé need a special needle ?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
poodling around
Victor V

Does this Pathé need a special needle ?

Post by poodling around »

I don't deliberately collect Pathé records, they just turn up from time to time in collections.

I was how-ever very pleased with this one as I have very few bag-pipe 78 records.

Can I play this with a bamboo needle or does it needle a special diamond stylus etc ?
Attachments
pathe.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Does this Pathé need a special needle ?

Post by Inigo »

I suspect this is for the sapphire ball stylus.
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:13 am I suspect this is for the sapphire ball stylus.
Aha ! Thank you very much Inigo.

It always surprises me how few bag pipe 78 records there seem to be. There are of course many fine Scottish performers but where are the bag pipes ?

Oh well, this will never be played then ...............................

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

These Pathé records are vertical cuts with a wide, fairly shallow groove. The sapphire ball stylus is cut to fit these grooves, albeit barely. It's not at all unusual for the stylus to skate across the record if the turntable isn't perfectly flat.

I suppose you could try a fibre needle. I doubt it would hurt anything. You would need a vertically oriented reproducer though. You might also want to try blunting the point just a bit to see if it fits the groove better.

poodling around
Victor V

52089 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 am These Pathé records are vertical cuts with a wide, fairly shallow groove. The sapphire ball stylus is cut to fit these grooves, albeit barely. It's not at all unusual for the stylus to skate across the record if the turntable isn't perfectly flat.

I suppose you could try a fibre needle. I doubt it would hurt anything. You would need a vertically oriented reproducer though. You might also want to try blunting the point just a bit to see if it fits the groove better.
Thank you ! Very interesting indeed.

I will give it a go then - and probably find that it needs to rotate at 160 rpm ................ :roll:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Pathé's of the post-1915 type which you have pictured usually play at about 80rpm. The larger and earlier discs can play at anything between 90 and 120rpm.
Pathé made reproducers adapted to fit conventional gramophone tonearms. They sometimes turn up on eBay, but make sure that the ball sapphire stylus is present and unworn as replacements are expensive.
Attachments
adapter.jpg
adapter.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I've had success playing some verticals with thorn needles.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:08 pm Pathé's of the post-1915 type which you have pictured usually play at about 80rpm. The larger and earlier discs can play at anything between 90 and 120rpm.
Pathé made reproducers adapted to fit conventional gramophone tonearms. They sometimes turn up on eBay, but make sure that the ball sapphire stylus is present and unworn as replacements are expensive.
Very interesting and useful.

Thank you epigramophone.

poodling around
Victor V

Orchorsol wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:25 pm I've had success playing some verticals with thorn needles.
Interesting.

I have only recently figured out how to sharpen thorn needles properly and I have to say they are very good.

I may try out your idea then.

Thank you Orchorsol.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I would hesitate to play a Pathé vertical disc on an acoustic machine with anything except a sapphire ball stylus. If you do plunge ahead with a wooden needle, stand right by the machine while you play it and be ready to grab the reproducer if it takes off skating across the record surface. If it does, it will go with amazing speed, and it can start skating at any point during play--a record can seem to be doing just fine, and a minute or so in, suddenly, ZOOM!