Cleaning records is IMPORTANT

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Cleaning records is IMPORTANT

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

So for the most part of my collecting career (just over a year) I never cleaned my 78s, then a few months tried a few methods that weren't the most efficient. Just today I started doing the tried and true toothbrush then rinse off, and WOW do most of my records sound good. Previously VG records sound E- or E now. I know many people have said this before, but to any new collectors like me; cleaning records really does wonders!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Cleaning records is IMPORTANT

Post by Inigo »

Yes. Many times it's dust only, but other times you'll find sticky material on the grooves and this really spoils audition!
The first play after cleaning, if done with a soft (thin) steel needle, it will help removing dirt from the bottom of the grooves. You will see what a residue is left on the needle point, and all around the surface of the record, depending on how much dirt was embedded in the grooves...
Inigo

swamprad
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Mark R. Mills

Post by swamprad »

Good to know! Toothbrush with what? Soap and water then clean water rinse?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

swamprad wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:44 am Good to know! Toothbrush with what? Soap and water then clean water rinse?
For cleaning "78s", put a drop or 2 of dish soap in 8 or so ounces of lukewarm water, apply with a clean toothbrush, then rinse off and dry completely. However, 1) there are other opinions on how to clean 78s, and 2) other types of records (Diamond Discs, cylinders) use other methods. You may want to search the board for multiple past discussions and additional details on this topic.

swamprad
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Mark R. Mills

Post by swamprad »

Thanks!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I do the toothbrush / dish soap thing. Then dry pretty vigorously with a microfiber towel, and a final air dry, taking care not to wet the labels all along. I've cleaned some noisy junk store type find records that way, got them like 50 % quieter.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

swamprad wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:44 am Good to know! Toothbrush with what? Soap and water then clean water rinse?
yep! dish soap and water, scrub, rinse off, dry. If you rub it dry with a cloth or something it can help get extra dirt off.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Wolfe wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:05 pm I do the toothbrush / dish soap thing. Then dry pretty vigorously with a microfiber towel, and a final air dry, taking care not to wet the labels all along. I've cleaned some noisy junk store type find records that way, got them like 50 % quieter.
I've found that the labels are either A. really compressed paper or B. something else water resistant. Either way they don't actually absorb moisture much

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Ink will run on certain of them though. Or the label will wind up with a mottled appearance, even if slight, once dry. My thing is no water on labels.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Wolfe wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:15 pm Ink will run on certain of them though. Or the label will wind up with a mottled appearance, even if slight, once dry. My thing is no water on labels.
that makes sense. Any clue which labels run so I can avoid getting those wet?