Lost Berliner Disc by Sunderland?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AllenKoe
Victor II

Lost Berliner Disc by Sunderland?

Post by AllenKoe »

I note in Paul Charosh's book that #5013 has an unusual title:
"Occurrence following assault on Senator Sumner"

And not much data on it either, no date, no take, etc.

Rev Byron Sunderland did make one other disc (Berliner #5012) of a religious nature, and it does exist, playably, at the Library of Congress. It was recorded in April 1898. But this one sounds more political.

Apparently the 5013 info was found in a printed catalog and probably also dates from 1898.

But has anyone ever seen one (actually)? I believe that Sunderland died in 1901.

Thanks for any clues.

Allen

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Lost Berliner Disc by Sunderland?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The caning of Senator Charles Sumner (May 22nd, 1856) was an attack on the Abolitionist senator from Massachusetts by Preston Brooks, pro-slavery representative from South Carolina. So this is perhaps a historical re-enactment, a speech on the effect of this attack--not sure--we need a copy of this record!

The original speech Sumner gave was pretty intense, and he verbally castigated the entire "peculiar institution" and all its defenders (including Andrew Butler, a South Carolinian senator, and Stephen Douglas, Lincoln's rival in the election.) Preston Brooks was a cousin of Butler's. Sumner received a brain injury during the attack & displayed symptoms of PTSD during his recovery. Brooks did not get his own caning but he talked himself out of a rifle duel at the Canadian side of Niagara with Anson Burlingame (citing his own safety, which isn't the point of a duel) and challenged Henry Wilson to a duel as Wilson was an associate of Sumner's. The more I read about Brooks the less I like him.

Sumner died in 1874, having lived a fascinating life of contention, adventure, and principles.

Brooks died of the croup.
Statue of Senator Sumner
Statue of Senator Sumner

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

[quote=AllenKoe post_id=303793 time=1635533251 user_id=918]
I note in Paul Charosh's book that #5013 has an unusual title:
"Occurrence following assault on Senator Sumner"

And not much data on it either, no date, no take, etc.

Rev Byron Sunderland did make one other disc (Berliner #5012) of a religious nature, and it does exist, playably, at the Library of Congress. It was recorded in April 1898. But this one sounds more political.

Apparently the 5013 info was found in a printed catalog and probably also dates from 1898.

But has anyone ever seen one (actually)? I believe that Sunderland died in 1901.

Thanks for any clues.

Allen
[/quote]

There is a hard rubber master of catalog number 5013 at the Library and Archives Canada. Unfortunately, the posted image is poor: https://archive.moeb.ca/en/disc/2016-0037/

The incised title reportedly reads: "Dr. B. Sunderland Washington D.C. April 9, 1898 Occurrence following the assault on Senator Sumner related by B. Sunderland"
Attachments
Hard rubber master_Sunderland.jpg
Hard rubber master_Sunderland.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 611 times

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Thank you, Stephan, a nice find. This may be a (single) unique example of this recording.

I will ask them (Canada/Berliner) if they have an audio file and/or a transcription of the contents.

I hope to figure out why such a topic (an event from 1856) was the subject of such a selection in 1898.

Much appreciate.

Allen

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Hello Allen,

you are welcome. I had discovered this record by chance a short time ago on the archives website, so I had a good recollection of it. I am also curious what the Reverend, an interesting and well connected personality at the time, has to say.

Best
Stephan