Information about disc record sleeves

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Johndoe64
Victor O
Personal Text: Bile Dem Cabbage Down!

Information about disc record sleeves

Post by Johndoe64 »

I'd like to find out more about the sleeves that came with disc records. I've read in some places that Columbia introduced paper sleeves around 1908 for their double disc records, and Victor followed suit in 1911 with their own sleeves. Does anybody have any source material to support this outside of the sleeves themselves? And how were they sold before then, plain unmarked sleeves or ?. Also, I've seen Columbia dealer sleeves, did disc records leave the factory in those dealer sleeves, and replaced with different labels for the store shelves later on?

Also, what other packaging might come with a disc record? I have a few 11" sleeves and envelopes from record dealers, and even a neat one from victor which I cannot find any information on.

More than anything, I'd like to see some original source material to cross reference.

Thank you for reading the long and rambling post, I'm hoping to satiate my curiosity!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Information about disc record sleeves

Post by CarlosV »

Sleeves are older than the Columbia ones. Berliners, which were the first records to be produced industrially, were sold with sleeves, plain envelopes with no holes in the center, with the handwritten titles on top.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I am the author of "Covers Covered", a regular series of articles on record covers published in the quarterly magazine of the City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society (CLPGS). The term "sleeve" did not come into usage until the 1950's and coincided with the introduction of vinyl LP records, so it is not strictly appropriate in relation to 78rpm records.

As Carlos states, the earliest disc records, which had no labels, were sold in bags. Later ones with holes to display their labels were variously described as cases, covers, envelopes, holders or protectors. In the UK we generally use the term "covers".

In the UK records usually left the manufacturers in their branded paper covers, but many retailers had their own cardboard covers printed to advertise their businesses. These covers often depict gramophones and accessories, and if the origins of the retailer can be researched they provide interesting material for my articles.

Roger.

Johndoe64
Victor O

Post by Johndoe64 »

Thank you for the helpful information! I'd love to read "Covers Covered", I may end up subscribing to the CLPGS magazine. Does anybody have a picture of an original Berliner bag?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Here it is, worn out after 120 years. As Roger correctly pointed out, not a sleeve, but a card bag.
Attachments
20211122_180840.jpg

Johndoe64
Victor O

Post by Johndoe64 »

Thank you! I think this kind of information is great for putting record history in proper context. Also seeing a Berliner in its original card cover makes me extremely jealous.

streetmechanic14
Victor O

Post by streetmechanic14 »

Somewhat off-topic but does anyone know whether RCA Victor provided printed sleeves for their 8-inch Bluebird records of 1932. If "yes" does anybody have one?
-Dave

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi Dave,

I've wondered about 8" sleeves for both the 8" Bluebird and the 8" Electradisk records (both RCA Victor products from the early 1930s). I've seen pics of examples of both of these 8" records, but never any corresponding sleeves.

BTW --- There is a Facebook group dedicated to 78 rpm sleeves called 78 RPM Sleeves which can be found here https://www.facebook.com/groups/530675194134327 .

Happy Hunting,
Bob

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Kurt Nauck had listed in one of his auctions, a 5" Berliner with an original envelope. The envelope had the same paper label attached to it as was on the back of the disc. I've seen pics of at least one other example, and modeled the packaging of my reproduction 5" Berliners after those pics.... one of my reproductions (with envelope) is below.

I've also owned a few of the 7" discs with green envelopes and hand-written song titles. All of these 7" envelopes were from the UK, I've not seen any such packaging with US Berliners.
Attachments
31-1.jpeg