Victor Special Order Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Zenger
Victor I

Victor Special Order Records

Post by Zenger »

I found these two discs in the aforementioned enormous lot of 78's I hauled home recently; I have never come across any before, and had to look them up in the Collector's Guide to Victor Records just to figure out what they are. Apparently, in the 1920's or so, Victor would press special copies of sides that it had dropped from its catalogue for people who ordered them. (Each disc they pressed specially was one-sided.) Does anyone have any idea how many of these are floating around out there? Did Victor press a lot of them? Anyone know how much Victor charged people for these back then?
Attachments
VSO 1.JPG
VSO 2.JPG

Victor VI

Re: Victor Special Order Records

Post by 52089 »

As a group, I'd call them uncommon but not particularly rare. You can usually find 1 or 2 examples at any of the lager record shows or the major phonograph auctions.

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

I came across a third one in a lot that I got somewhere else; the label, as you can see, is different. So is the back. Would this one have been pressed much later than the first two? I'd still be interested in any and all information about these special order records.
Attachments
P1220618.JPG
P1220619.JPG

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Zenger wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:50 pm I found these two discs in the aforementioned enormous lot of 78's I hauled home recently; I have never come across any before, and had to look them up in the Collector's Guide to Victor Records just to figure out what they are. Apparently, in the 1920's or so, Victor would press special copies of sides that it had dropped from its catalogue for people who ordered them. (Each disc they pressed specially was one-sided.) Does anyone have any idea how many of these are floating around out there? Did Victor press a lot of them? Anyone know how much Victor charged people for these back then?
"Yankee Doodle Boy" would be a really nice side to have like that- later press means better quality of record!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Zenger wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:38 pm I came across a third one in a lot that I got somewhere else; the label, as you can see, is different. So is the back. Would this one have been pressed much later than the first two? I'd still be interested in any and all information about these special order records.
Pick yourself up a copy of Michael Sherman's book "The Collectors Guide To Victor Records". Everything you will want to know and more will be at your fingertips.
Michael is also a forum member.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

I have several of those, and have found the shellac to be of an exceptionally high quality. Congratulations!