Help Needed With Brown Wax Cylinders

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Help Needed With Brown Wax Cylinders

Post by SonnyPhono »

I bought 20 brown wax cylinders and the original carrying case quite awhile ago and had never tried to play any of them, let alone know whats on them until today. With no markings or record slips, I have to resort the the announcements to identify the titles and artist. I was really happy with how well they all played and was able to identify quite a few of them. But there were a few that I couldn't make out the titles and/or artists and wanted to see if anyone would be able to help out. I don't know much about brown wax cylinders or the popular selections of their day. If the title or artist can't be audibly verified, maybe one of you will be able to recognize the songs? I am only going to start with one. I made videos of all 20 so I won't have to risk playing them again. These will probably be easy for you cylinder buffs, so I apologize if these are common titles/artists!

The first one I am stuck on is a march played by the Edison Grand Symphony Orchestra. I can't make out what is said before the word march though. Does anyone know? Any information on the title and production date would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv_cmxmwqrg[/youtube]

Edisone
Victor IV

Re: Help Needed With Brown Wax Cylinders

Post by Edisone »

I can't make out the title, either; I'll need to listen with earphones. The announcement sounds as if it has been played much more than the music.

By the way, I don't know which reproducer you used, but Edison owners were warned not to play brown wax with the Model C - it's heavier and can cause damage.

Flvice
Victor O

Post by Flvice »

I think I hear "Oriental (Something) March... It is difficult to make out. I checked ucsb website with a search of "Oriental" and "march" and found only one song listed with no extra word in the title. It didn't sound at all like the brown wax selection.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Flvice wrote:I think I hear "Oriental (Something) March... It is difficult to make out. I checked ucsb website with a search of "Oriental" and "march" and found only one song listed with no extra word in the title. It didn't sound at all like the brown wax selection.
ah ha, excellent. Oriental Echoes - March, composer George Rosey. Record number 594, 1897-98, according to the Truesound cylinder listing.

Flvice
Victor O

Post by Flvice »

Oriental Echos March

yup... whats it... you're good you.... Next one..

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Yup that's it! Thanks for the help! Ok, let's keep going. Here are a couple more I'm having trouble with.

I am able to make out most of the announcement on this one with the exception of the first few words. It says:

"? ? The Swanee River played by the Columbia Orchestra for the Columbia Phonograph Company of New York City."
Would I be correct in saying that this one is older than the last because New York City is the only location announced? Would this mean that this cylinder dates before Columbia had a location in Paris or London? If so, I guess it dates to about 1897. I just need to figure out what the first word/words are.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9CGeU3tK78[/youtube]

This next one has the longest announcement I have ever heard on a cylinder. I have the whole announcement figured out, (I think) but can't find anything out about the recording. It's an Uncle Josh title. Does anyone know when this was recorded or an estimate of it's production date? I found an online database that is attempting to compile every Uncle Josh recording regardless of format or company. This one wasn't listed. Does anyone have any information on this one? The announcement says:

"Uncle Josh Weathersby at the Stock Exchange, Wall Street, New York. An Original Yankee Story by Mr. Cal Stewart Played for the Columbia Phonograph Company of New York and Paris." (Isn't this Cal Stewart announcing his own performance?)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k73CeWbPFlM[/youtube]

Let me know if you have any information on these. Thanks for the help!

Flvice
Victor O

Post by Flvice »

I believe that the first one "Swanee River" is "Down on the Swanee River" It sounds similar to this Columbia Recording on the ucsb

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/searc ... rtOrder=ia

There is no intro but it does sound similar. It also has some notations as to earlier recordings on brown wax

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Yes, I had found that version last night. It is definitely the same song, which helps me as to the cylinder #. But I'm still stumped with whats said at the beginning of the announcement. I am going to slow mine down a bit as it was playing too fast. Maybe that will help...

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

The Oriental Echoes March could be also later. The list does only provide the first recording made under that certain number 594. Therefore, you have to include some furhter information for precise dating. An essential info is the correct playback speed.

So, if the cylinder plays faster than 125rpm (like 144rpm), it is a later re-recording from 1900-02.

If you want to properly analyse an announcement I do highly recommend an electric playback. It can reveal lots of important details. Also, YouTube has a very inferior codec and bitrate for audio.

So far, I cannot understand the first words of the Columbia band recording either and I currently don't have my Columbia catalog reference at hand. But this one dates from 1897 when Columbia moved their studio from Washington DC to New York but prior to the opening of their branch office in Paris in 1898.
Most of my NYC announced cylinders appear to have some flaws in a steady playback speed. I could imagine that this is owed to the cirumstance that they may have used some spring-powered machines until they got their electric equipment set up again properly. Other thoughts on that are highly welcome. Earlier and later cylinders do usually sound much steadier and stronger in volume too. The correct playback speed of this one should be 120rpm with exceptions always possible.

And yes, a Model C reproducer is not a good idea. It's usually not the weight but the doorknob shape of the stylus which can cause increased wear. The earlier Model B, Transitional and Automatic have a round ball-shaped stylus tip which provides a greater contact surface to the cylinder where the weight can rest on during playback.