Am I an "old" fuddy-duddy...

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
beaumonde
Victor III

Am I an "old" fuddy-duddy...

Post by beaumonde »

...or am I the only one who prefers to listen to these recordings, when digitized, through direct mp3 transfers, not via youtube? I.e. whatever happened to uploading them to box.net or mediafire or mydatabus, or whatever? I don't find youtube to reproduce the best sound quality, and it's not really possible to save these transfers for the iPod, is it?

That said (had to get it out of my system, sorry!), some might enjoy this transfer I recently made of the London String Quartet's 1929 recording of Cesar Franck's late String Quartet: http://www.mediafire.com/?9ks884zv7unpg

It's taken from Royal Blue (US) Columbia pressings.
Adam

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: Am I an "old" fuddy-duddy...

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Yes, I had also noticed the same trend Adam. Must admit that I am guilty of this as I used to upload everything to my Box file and post a link so that it could be listend to or downloaded as an MP3 file. But since I started doing stuff on youtube I have just relied on that even though the sound quality is clearly inferior.

S-B-H

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I haven't really gotten into the whole YouTube thing either. Don't spend much time there. As far as 78 rpm recordings, I have gone to YouTube to reference certain recordings that I'm especially curious about, but that's about all.

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Wolfe wrote: I have gone to YouTube to reference certain recordings that I'm especially curious about, but that's about all.
Yes I use it as an ebay aid - if there is a recording of a song and I want to hear it before I bid on a disk more often than not it can be found on youtube. I have found this very useful and have avoided making some "mistake" buys this way.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I agree on the noted disadvantages of youTube. The advantages though obviously are the visual element and the fact that you can write all kinds of stuff in the description, send and receive comments etcetera. It goes without saying that you reach a very wide audience.

Boxnet and it's equivalents don't have these advantages, to my knowlege. I actually don't know how to create an MP3 and upload it to boxnet although I'm sure I could learn. I tried connecting my tube amp to my pc about 18 months ago. Never got it to work. :monkey:

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

I've used a CD recorder for years, wav or AIF files are easy to convert to mp3 with iTunes or whatever software you have.
Adam