What kind of Edison cylinder is this?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists

What kind of Edison cylinder is this?

Post by Guest »

I need some of you experts to help me figure out what I bought recently. I bought it thinking it was an ordinary Blue Amberol cylinder, mainly because it came in that kind of a box. The light wasn't too bright, but I could tell that it looked to be in pretty good shape, and the price was very reasonable. When I got it home and took a better look, I was surprised to find that the color is black. It's marked Town Topics of Pumpkin Center, Cal Stewart, #1507. It has a flat title end and the typical spiral plaster core of a Blue Amberol. Is this just a really really dark blue Blue Amberol, or is it a black wax cylinder or something? I don't want to play it on my Amberola 50 if that will damage it. I'm not very familiar with any cylinders other than BAs.

Thanks for your advice!

Jerry K

Edisone
Victor IV

Re: What kind of Edison cylinder is this?

Post by Edisone »

That's a regular Blue Amberol, just very dark. Town Topics is a good one, too - Uncle Josh sings ! Enjoy it on your Amberola !

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

BAs can morph into strange colours I have found as I have one that started blue and turned green from - I assume - sunlight degredation.

S-B-H

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Swing Band Heaven wrote:BAs can morph into strange colours I have found as I have one that started blue and turned green from - I assume - sunlight degredation.

S-B-H
Sunlight degradation or did you spill your Mojito on it during a party? :lol:

NashTwin8
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Learning and having fun!

Post by NashTwin8 »

Thanks guys. I'll clean it up and give it a play.

Jerry