Received my new batch of shellac from ShopGoodwill but...

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Received my new batch of shellac from ShopGoodwill but...

Post by Dischoard »

... they certainly don't know how to pack a box. That scroll label, the one that was the whole reason that I bid on the auction? Yeah, that was on the bottom with only a sheet of bubble wrap between it and the bottom of the box. Obliterated. Took out the bottom 5 records along with it. :(

Luckily there was still enough good stuff in the batch to make it worthwhile but such needless destruction is still disturbing. It will be the first Victor scroll label and Bluebird labels that I will make a drink coaster out of, no regrets other than I couldn't get through to the volunteers packing the box in time to give them tips on how to ship them properly. I'll be sending them this picture though, with a few suggestions ;)
IMG_6057.jpg

JeffR1
Victor III

Re: Received my new batch of shellac from ShopGoodwill but...

Post by JeffR1 »

That's really too bad, I hate seeing things like this happen. :cry:

And what's the matter with people, is there a walnut in there head where a brain is supposed to be ?
Just because they're volunteers means they don't have to think ?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I don't mean this to sound snarky, but did you instruct Goodwill on how to pack the records?

It's really not reasonable to expect "civilians" to know how to pack things they know nothing about, and with which they have had no experience. When I buy records online, I consider it my responsibility to offer advice on how to pack them.

I do so politely, pointing out that we both want a successful transaction. So far, no one has taken offense. One woman from whom I bought a 7" Berliner thanked me - and admitted that she was originally planning to use a padded envelope! But really - how was she to know any better?

George P.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

"Always a smash hit"

Sorry- yeah, this stinks. And GFP is right- some people simply don't know.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

A 7" Berliner in a padded envelope... amazing...

... no, that's why I said "shipped before I had the chance". I was going to reach out to them but was on the road for 3 days with intermittent service, had actually forgotten about the auction until I got a message from my wife with a picture of the box as it had arrived. I sent them an "after" message, basically "hey, no worries but, in the future..."

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I love it when I find 78s in the wild.I get them at my local antique center. But I know that not every collector has places to go where they can find them.edisonplayer.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I just got a stack of Diamond Discs from ShopGoodwill awhile ago (it had Fred Van Eps records in it, go figure.) Starting to worry about how those will fare in shipping. . .

Last thing I got in the mail was this Sessions eight-day clock from 1921. This is the first time I've bought a clock in the past tense. It was not a clock when I got it; it was a clock that had once been.
Sessions crunched.jpg
Had to reglue the case--Still need a few spares for the movement, like a suspension spring and a few other necessities. It was going to need servicing anyway as it's 101 years old, but now it is needing a bit more than that. I have it sitting on the mantlepiece in the apartment right now, just as a bit of a display until I can get it together.
Sessions returning to life.jpg
Sessions returning to life.jpg (52.91 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

Holy cow, was THAT shipped in a padded envelope? :shock:

I sent them a copy of the same photo that I posted and they actually sent me a refund for part of the auction, I didn't ask for one but there it was. Good faith.
I think I even made a point to say that the rest of the batch was worth the $. Just bummed about my scroll ;)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Yes they did ship the clock in envelopes--wrapped it up a few times in envelopes, put it in a flat-rate box, and allowed it to shake itself apart on a road trip all the way up the Eastern seaboard. I was able to get a full refund, mentioning poor packaging. The seller, most apologetic, blamed the post office. I don't know; the post-office doesn't rip boxes open to wrap antique mantle clocks in bubble envelopes.

I'm sorry to hear about your scroll label Vic. Those are good records with fine sound quality; it's never good news when we lose more 78s.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

So this is hilarious. My box of Diamond Discs arrived in fine condition, wrapped up to survive re-entry from orbit. I'm almost sure that Kurt Nauck would've approved of the packing. Of course none were damaged (they're Diamond Discs.)

Yet your precious stash of nice-condition 78s get smashed up. It just doesn't seem fair.