HMV records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Zenger
Victor I

HMV records

Post by Zenger »

I recently came across a couple dozen of these discs here in Maine, and while the label clearly states that they were made in England, I don't know if these were ever commercially imported to the U.S. or whether they're pre-WWII or post-WWII (and if they're the former, whether they're acoustic or electric). Any information would be much appreciated.
Attachments
HMV 1.jpg
HMV 2.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: HMV records

Post by Orchorsol »

DA 823 was issued in 1926.
DB 6768 was issued in 1948 and part of an international series.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

Thanks. Is there someplace I can look up the issue date for each record I have? As I said, there are a couple dozen.

Also, any idea when HMV started recording electrically?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Zenger wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:27 pm Thanks. Is there someplace I can look up the issue date for each record I have? As I said, there are a couple dozen.

Not online as far as I know - the source I use for UK 78s is the late Eddie Shaw's D.A.T.E.S. which was a semi-private publication. It's not infallible but extremely helpful. I doubt many copies were produced - I've never even seen another copy, let alone one for sale.

Someone will have better knowledge than me on HMV and electrical recording, but I guess very soon after Victor.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Zenger wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:27 pm Thanks. Is there someplace I can look up the issue date for each record I have? As I said, there are a couple dozen.

HMV issued their first electrical records almost by stealth in 1925, for the very good reason that they did not want their existing acoustic records to become obsolete overnight. Of course it did not take long for the public to notice the difference.

There are discographies on line for major artists such as John McCormack which show the recording dates, but not the dates of issue.

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

Thank you. Could someone perhaps give me a sense of what number and/or letter combination HMV would have been up to by September 1, 1939? Also, did they, like American record companies, change the composition of their discs during the war to save materiel that could have been useful for the war effort? American discs produced during and after WWII are much more fragile than those produced before it. (They never went back to the old composition after the war.)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

By 1939 HMV records had reached approximately the following catalogue numbers :

B9000, BD800, BD Dance 5600, C3200, DA1700, DB3900.

The UK introduced a national salvage campaign for old or unwanted records in 1942, and by 1944 almost all new records were being made from salvaged material. Only solid stock (i.e. not laminated) records were suitable for recycling, but no checks were made on content or value, so we can only imagine what treasures were lost to today's collectors.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

A couple points... Two cents.
These are British pressings, and seem to be of late thirties the sooner, but in inclined to think they're of late forties. The pressed raised letters DT and DTP near the center spindle are related to the taxes payed by the copies, and they serve also to narrow the pressing dates (in not versed on that, maybe any of the British colleagues can shed some light...)
It's rare that they don't carry the small white stamps 'Made for RCA Victor....' etc. But neither I know when they started to add these stamps.
Inigo

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

I use 45worlds.com, and whilst it's not 100% complete, usually gives a good indication. Both the records you mention are listed there

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

HMV labels routinely state 78 as the speed though many were not recorded at 78 at all. The 1945 Jan Peerce recording probably does, but the John McCormack could be different. Being a U.S. Victor recording from 1925, it might play correctly at 76 rpm or thereabouts, or not. :)

Just sayin', when HMV labels say SPEED 78, it's fairly trivial.