Water to spot clean Diamond Discs (eek!)

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
coyote
Victor II

Water to spot clean Diamond Discs (eek!)

Post by coyote »

I would like to solicit opinions on using just a LITTLE water to clean Diamond Discs, especially late ones in good condition.

I have found that there are certain spots, some I suspect as coming from the original paper envelopes ("sleeves"), which will NOT come off with any amount of isopropyl alcohol, even 70%. I find this odd, since 70% would have a higher water content.

Dampening a corner of a microfiber cloth with distilled water, wiping the affected area, and immediately wiping with a dry cloth instantly removes these spots. Since it's not the condensite itself, but rather the core which is affected by moisture, I see no issue with just a little water. As long as the contact is brief, not near the edge, and the condensite is in good condition, can anyone suggest how this could still be detrimental? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Victor VI

Re: Water to spot clean Diamond Discs (eek!)

Post by 52089 »

No, I agree, water used on a good surface and not near the edge, paper label, or center hole is no problem. When I have a particularly dirty Diamond Disc, I will dampen a paper towel and use that to remove the top layers of crud before using alcohol and cotton balls.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Phenolic resin, of which the surfaces of Diamond Disc records are made, is one of the most inert and chemically impervious substances on the planet. It is completely water-resistant. The cores of Diamond Discs contain finely-ground sawdust (‘wood flour’), and rabbit hide glue as a binder. Both of these are hygroscopic and will absorb water. At a point, kaolin clay was added to the mixture to make it more water resistant. It is entirely possible to clean the surface of a Diamond Disc with water and by avoiding anything but minimal exposure to the edges, not damage the disc in any way. Although alcohol works to ‘dust’ the surfaces, it lacks the surfactant qualities of detergent and water that loosens dirt/grit on the surfaces. Just be careful and everything will be just fine. Don’t run water all over the disc, and don’t immerse it.
Here’s a video of me cleaning a disc with water.
725B668A-21D0-479B-A0A2-E8E595780DF3.MOV
(201.23 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Thank you both.

Logically, I knew cleaning a good-condition Diamond Disc with small amounts of water and a surfactant was fine with these caveats. I was just surprised that in a brief Google search, I was unable to find anything other than "NEVER use water under any circumstances." Perhaps it's more convenient to say that than to explain why and how water can be used safely? Or have people just blindly subscribed to the oft-repeated "never-ever use water" without thinking it through?

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

People who look at the record jacket see the words to not use water to clean the record. It would seem logical that most people would believe what the manufacture stated. "Do not use water" above the trademark.

Marc
Diamond Disc Cover (2).jpg

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

I have many early Diamond Disc with cracks in the laminate surface. The cracks always seem to rise above the surface of the disc. What I believe happened in the past was the powder core absorbed water, expanded, stretched the playing surface when it must have pulled apart with a snap! Then when it dried out, the surface tension was released and contracted to cause the surface to rise.

Never tried it but curious if as en experiment you left the disk with one edge in water, I would if you would hear the "snap" when the surface broke?