International record covers

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

International record covers

Post by nostalgia »

Is there an interest in in seeing/showing international records covers, covers made outside the UK/USA, since most members on the forum are from these countries? I could upload photos of some Scandinavian covers now and then, if there is an interest. I guess I am a bit "graphical" these days, since you can see I have uploaded a Swedish Easter greeting card as a new avatar on my profile :)

Instead of asking, I am uploading one cover, I am sure not everyone has seen it. It has Danish text on one side, and Swedish text on the other side. The written Norwegian language is very similar to Danish ( but only when it comes to written language), so this automatically solved the problem with making covers for all Scandinavia. There are also exclusive Norwegian covers, I will show them later on, if there is an interest.
Attachments
hmv2.jpg
hmv1.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: International record covers

Post by epigramophone »

As the author of the "Covers Covered" series in the CLPGS magazine I have covers from all over the world.
I will try to make time to post some of them here, and would be interested to see what others have got.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

For those on Facebook, be sure to check out the "78 RPM Sleeves" group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/530675194134327 .

Bob

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Yes, I'd certainly be interested in seeing some.
There's probably not a lot I can add other than a few Chinese, Japanese and some other countries, but unfortunately the quality will likely be poor due to only having a cheap phone to take photos.
I could of course include Australia covers, but they're pretty boring in a lot of cases because they are the same as US or UK covers with an Australian address.
Then again, there were some British companies who manufactured record labels for export to Australia, so there may be some of those covers that could qualify I guess.
Probably safest to stick to foreign language covers for now though.
I've always been interested in record covers and labels, and have even bought discs because it's in a cover I haven't got..

Great idea for a thread Martin, and thanks for posting those above.
I always enjoy seeing something I've not seen before.
Yours would be the first Norwegian cover for sure.

Btw, your new post card avatar is adorable 😊
Edwardian era graphics are wonderful.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

As Martin started this thread the first cover I am posting is Norwegian, the only one in my collection :
Attachments
IMG_2886.JPG
IMG_2887.JPG

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Looking at beautiful vintage graphic art is always amusing and interesting, will also try to upload some images. Are we limiting ourselves to HMV covers here, just in order to keep a minimum of systematicity? :geek:

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: ↑Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:49 am. Are we limiting ourselves to HMV covers here, just in order to keep a minimum of systematicity? :geek:
I hope not as that will reduce my contribution to 2:or 3 lol.
Personally I think we're better off having all brands in one thread so it's easier to find and reduces the number of search result for "covers".
We'd probably end up with threads containing 1 or 2 of certain brands, and I think I'd rather look through 12 pages of mixed covers rather than 12 pages of search results to plow though.
That's just how I see it anyway πŸ€”

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Interesting... I'll post some rare ones later....
Inigo

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

On the German forum, they have a section for record covers (Huellen) https://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plug ... rum.php?75. Most are German, but quite a few international covers as well.

Andreas

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Here is a Scandinavian dealer's cover. It contains a Danish record, but I will leave it to the linguists to identify the cover.
Attachments
IMG_2888.JPG
IMG_2889.JPG