RECORD HAUL: 4/10/22!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

RECORD HAUL: 4/10/22!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

On Sunday I went to one of my local swap meets (Tis the season!) and I had one of the best days for that particular swap meet in a long time!

I got a Herzog cabinet full of cylinders this one seller who I see there that I get antique phono related stuff for she’s been saying for the last almost 2 years that she had a cabinet full of records she would sell me: and this time she actually brought it! I had to buy a radio flyer wagon just to haul the cabinet and records!

The records were mostly blue amberols, with some 2 minute wax, some everlasting titles, and even a couple wax amberols were in there (including the 6th title released on WA) and even a celluloid copy of Electrophone’s Edison Advertising Record (which sounds better than that very early electrohome wax copy of that record I bought a couple years ago.)

And not only that, I actually for the VERY first time in my 6 years of cylinder collecting got a couple of BROWN WAX titles. Yes they were later Columbia molded brown wax titles, not exactly the oldest records I have but as for cylinders, these are certainly the oldest I have so far!

And another first for me for cylinders: I finally got an original Edison blank! But I’m not sure if I want to record on it because the mold on this blank won’t do any favors for my cutting stylus…

And it wasn’t just that seller because I came across a lot of 78s! (Dating from about 1905-1913 mostly) And I paid $20 for the whole lot!

Now as many of us who would consider themselves seasoned collectors, I could immediately tell the original owners of these records were owners of a Standard Disc machine, not only due to the Standard titles there, but bigger label titles all had their spindle holes enlarged to fit the Standard’s enlarged spindle. (I’m glad i have my Standard X just in case I come across lots of 78s with these modifications. But the mica diaphragm is starting to buzz on that machine so the long throat soundbox on that machine needs a rebuild with new mica and gaskets but that’s a topic for a Yankee Trader post)

I have also found my Fifth Victor 8-inch title but still no 7 inch victors, BUT I did get 4 7 inch Oxford titles in the bunch!

Unfortunately 8 of the titles were cracked or broken I’ll include those in the photographs too.

So yesterday was just one of those once in a few year amazing days where the stars and planets all lined up for me!

The only non record related things I purchased was a GE Exposure meter and camera bag. I was out of money REAL QUICK. I missed out on a milk crate full of Jam Handy films from the 1950s!
Attachments
A Billy Murray Classic!
A Billy Murray Classic!
Early Wax amberol title (yes a “mother” song but still interesting)
Early Wax amberol title (yes a “mother” song but still interesting)
Two different versions of the Electrohome advertising cylinder
Two different versions of the Electrohome advertising cylinder
My first Edison blank! Probably too moldy to record on…
My first Edison blank! Probably too moldy to record on…
Two circa 1902 Columbia brown wax titles. My oldest cylinders!
Two circa 1902 Columbia brown wax titles. My oldest cylinders!
Herzog cabinet filled with cylinders been waiting 2 years for this!
Herzog cabinet filled with cylinders been waiting 2 years for this!
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: RECORD HAUL: 4/10/22!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

And now, photos of the 78s I got! I’m currently in the process of cleaning them, so some of them are a little “barn fresh”
Attachments
3 generations of Victor labels! Grand Prize, Patents, and Batwing!
3 generations of Victor labels! Grand Prize, Patents, and Batwing!
Columbia titles
Columbia titles
Standard titles p1
Standard titles p1
Standard titles P2
Standard titles P2
Oxford titles p1
Oxford titles p1
Oxford titles P2
Oxford titles P2
My 5th 8 inch Victor and my 4 7 inch oxfords!
My 5th 8 inch Victor and my 4 7 inch oxfords!
Broken/cracked titles boo.
Broken/cracked titles boo.
Broken/cracked titles 2. boo Boo.
Broken/cracked titles 2. boo Boo.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

A nice haul and a greater value. :clover:
You have to love when that happens! :rose:

James.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's a nice group of records you've scored there. You'll have a lot of fun listening to them all and will no doubt discover some new favorites among them.
I notice your Edison blank appears to be for 4 min recordings, so unless you've got a 4 min recorder you probably wouldn't be using it to record on anyway.
I think it's always nice to have an example of the various cylinder types, and it makes a collection that little bit more interesting.
In my limited experience, 4 min blanks seem to turn up far less often than their 2 min counterparts.

Congratulations and enjoy.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophoneshane wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:00 am That's a nice group of records you've scored there. You'll have a lot of fun listening to them all and will no doubt discover some new favorites among them.
I notice your Edison blank appears to be for 4 min recordings, so unless you've got a 4 min recorder you probably wouldn't be using it to record on anyway.
I think it's always nice to have an example of the various cylinder types, and it makes a collection that little bit more interesting.
In my limited experience, 4 min blanks seem to turn up far less often than their 2 min counterparts.

Congratulations and enjoy.
Hey thanks Shane! I’ll hopefully get a 4 minute recorder someday!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I'm very happy for you!

These days, going to a sawp meet and finding nothing is a victory for me! :lol:

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Another first from this lot. My first cylinder with 2 tracks on it!
Attachments
E193A489-5C6E-4843-BE6F-BDD322D2A1E7.jpeg

streetmechanic14
Victor O

Post by streetmechanic14 »

I've had very good luck shaving moldy blanks with a 1940's Ediphone shaver. In one or two passes it leaves a pristine mirror-like surface. And best of all, (Scotchman that I am) few people seem interested in 1940's office equipment so the investment is small.
-Dave

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Congratulations and nice haul! My wife has a saying that you have to hit 99 yard sales/estate sales/thrift stores before you get that really cool find at the 100th one. I've lost count, but think I am overdue... :lol:

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Frisco The Beagle wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:06 pm Congratulations and nice haul! My wife has a saying that you have to hit 99 yard sales/estate sales/thrift stores before you get that really cool find at the 100th one. I've lost count, but think I am overdue... :lol:
I was well due for that!