Edison special C Cylinder

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
columbia1spring
Victor II
Personal Text: When cycling, an overpass is not considered a mountain!

Edison special C Cylinder

Post by columbia1spring »

Hello!
I have a special C Edison cylinder, in the original box with original lid.
Do these Special C cylinders have any significant meaning .?
Attachments
C7DDAE8C-B0C0-4D8A-9BB3-1CB0B4A1CC6D.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison special C Cylinder

Post by phonogfp »

A detailed illustrated article on these appeared in the APS magazine in December 2020. There were 10 Special Amberol Records included in a promotional set to encourage Edison owners to have their early 2-minute machines converted to play the new 4-minute Amberols. Your Special C is one of these promotional records.

Here's one of the images used in the article. It shows a complete set with an Amberol Attachment for an Edison Standard.

George P.
Amb.JPG

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Edison special C Cylinder

Post by melvind »

Last year I created YouTube videos of transfers of all 10 of these special cylinders. Here is a link to the playlist from my channel if you are interested in hearing them and seeing images. Some are in better shape than others, and part of my project was to show the damage that happens to these fragile 4 minute wax cylinder records over the decades of play.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -YuWW8Ehhp

AllenKoe
Victor II

Re: Edison special C Cylinder (don't forget L-W)

Post by AllenKoe »

Let us recall (also) that a SECOND series of such Amberol wax cylinders (10) were issued by TAE in 1911, and they were "numbered" (or better yet, "lettered") as: Special L thru W (skipping N and Q).

The exact titles and artists of this (very) RARE set, also with the appropriate labeled caps, were first published in 1987 in ECR, 1889-1912, on p. 169. "Hens' teeth" come to mind...

Allen