Question About 2-minute Cylinder Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Question About 2-minute Cylinder Records

Post by audiophile102 »

I recently acquired a Columbia BK and I would like to know if there are any reasonably good sounding 2-minute jazz cylinder records I could be looking for? I don't expect the sound quality of a diamond disk, but something that might help maintain my interest in cylinder machines. I just heard an Earl Oliver tune on a cylinder that was outstanding, but my machine can't play 4-minute records.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Question About 2-minute Cylinder Records

Post by Wolfe »

2-minute cylinders weren't being made anymore by the time jazz was on records starting in the later 'teens ? I think the only thing approaching "jazz" you're going to find on cylinder are the 4-minute Blue Amberol.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

If you're lucky, you might find some Ragtime type music on 2 minute. (I learned that from Ramona Baker)

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

The Earl Oliver tune was most likely dubbed from a Diamond Disc record.

I have listened to many two minute cylinder records and there may be some ragtime music but real jazz would have to wait till after WW1 and be originally recorded at Edison on Diamond Discs and Victor as 78's.

By the way, you can hear a nice Earl Oliver tune on my Enhanced Records as track one.

Marc

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi

The Indestructible Phonographic Record Co of Albany, NY (aka Federal Records) was still making (new-title) 2-minute type celluloid cylinders almost to their end (1918; they ceased 4-mins in 1922), you might find something of interest there, but barely.

You may also find an article on the full history of "Indestructible" (in AP, June 2013) helpful (pp. 24-27). They were still utilizing patents left over from the days of the Lambert Co. (but with the metal/cardboard cores previously lacking).

Allen

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

You might find some 2 min jazz on Vulcan cylinders, but you'll need to check their website now and then to see what titles are available and are added over time.