Young people listening to music form the 1900’s

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Young people listening to music form the 1900’s

Post by Edisonfan »

I would like to first off apologize to the young people on here, between the ages of 18-24. I had no idea, that anyone in this age bracket would be interested in the music from the 1900’s? Turns out I was wrong. The vast majority of viewers too my YouTube Channel Nipper’s Lounge, are watching my videos. I want you too know, I appreciate that you have an interest in this hobby, and music. So, I want too welcome you to this wonderful community!

Paul

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Young people listening to music form the 1900’s

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Edisonfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:03 am I would like to first off apologize to the young people on here, between the ages of 18-24. I had no idea, that anyone in this age bracket would be interested in the music from the 1900’s? Turns out I was wrong. The vast majority of viewers too my YouTube Channel Nipper’s Lounge, are watching my videos. I want you too know, I appreciate that you have an interest in this hobby, and music. So, I want too welcome you to this wonderful community!

Paul
From what I see, I see more Gen Z folks than people my age in this hobby interested. I see more teenagers and early 20s folks than I see 32 year olds like me collecting. And that’s great that folks younger than me get it, some people my age do…but not as much.

Paul how much of your demographic is of early 30somethings?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Maybe it's because many older collectors have most of the content you upload already in their own collection?

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:02 am
Edisonfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:03 am I would like to first off apologize to the young people on here, between the ages of 18-24. I had no idea, that anyone in this age bracket would be interested in the music from the 1900’s? Turns out I was wrong. The vast majority of viewers too my YouTube Channel Nipper’s Lounge, are watching my videos. I want you too know, I appreciate that you have an interest in this hobby, and music. So, I want too welcome you to this wonderful community!

Paul
From what I see, I see more Gen Z folks than people my age in this hobby interested. I see more teenagers and early 20s folks than I see 32 year olds like me collecting. And that’s great that folks younger than me get it, some people my age do…but not as much.

Paul how much of your demographic is of early 30somethings?
Zero

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

gramophoneshane wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:35 am Maybe it's because many older collectors have most of the content you upload already in their own collection?
My oldest demographic is 65+ 27.8%

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Umm...congratulations?
I have a feeling that most of the YouTube channels people here have would have similar age group percentages watching their channel.
I'm not even sure why you wouldn't think there would be people from all different age groups watching these videos. Even 18-24 yr Olds.
Good music is good music regardless of what age you are.
I certainly don't understand why it matters either unless you intended to include pictures of sponge Bob to draw in an even younger crowd lol
And why are you apologizing unless you've made some sort of public statement saying younger people don't watch your videos.
Sorry, but I find the whole thing a little bizarre.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

gramophoneshane wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:55 am Umm...congratulations?
I have a feeling that most of the YouTube channels people here have would have similar age group percentages watching their channel.
I'm not even sure why you wouldn't think there would be people from all different age groups watching these videos. Even 18-24 yr Olds.
Good music is good music regardless of what age you are.
I certainly don't understand why it matters either unless you intended to include pictures of sponge Bob to draw in an even younger crowd lol
And why are you apologizing unless you've made some sort of public statement saying younger people don't watch your videos.
Sorry, but I find the whole thing a little bizarre.

Sorry, about that.

When I was growing up i never listened too any music from the 1900’s or even knew what a 78 was? I am just saying, it’s nice too see younger people take an interest in this hobby. That’s all!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Fair enough.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In any case, it's a joy to be aware of that.... It means that the hobby will have continuity after us, and our collections won't go to the bin, or end sadly forgotten in the deep vaults of museums' surplus materials...
Inigo

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

I think what Paul is talking about is exposure to different types of music. As I mentioned in another thread, I take a couple of HMV102s to local Boy Scout Troop meetings when they are working on the Music Merit Badge. By in large, the 11-17 year olds are more interested in the antique technology of acoustic recording and reproduction than the music itself, but every once in a while a spark is struck. Last January, two Scouts who were studying piano (one in his third year, and one quite accomplished at 16 years old) had never heard Fats Waller and James P. Johnson's stride music for piano. I played a couple of songs on the 102 and they were HOOKED!!! Three weeks later, one of the fellows (the older one,) had learned two pieces which he played for us as we stood around the piano in the meeting hall, awestruck. And the younger one, his mother reports, can't stop watching Stephanie Trick's stride videos on YouTube! (She blames me, haha!)

Admittedly, I've been doing the 78 demonstrations for years with the Scouts, and more 40+ parents have found the Big Band recordings I have played of some interest as well as "show tunes" from the '30's that they recognize (Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers... Cole Porter songs...) Most kids are disinterested. Frankly, I don't think they know what to listen for (Cole Porter's key shifts that change the mood of a piece, for example). But this past January's experience gives me hope!

Robert