Young people listening to music form the 1900’s

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Re: Young people listening to music form the 1900’s

Post by Edisonfan »

Yes that is what I was trying to get across! Thank you!

MATTROSE94
Victor O
Personal Text: ARSC Discography Committee Chairperson and early recorded sound enthusiast based in Central NJ

Post by MATTROSE94 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:02 am
Edisonfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:03 am I would like to first off apologize to the young people on here, between the ages of 18-24. I had no idea, that anyone in this age bracket would be interested in the music from the 1900’s? Turns out I was wrong. The vast majority of viewers too my YouTube Channel Nipper’s Lounge, are watching my videos. I want you too know, I appreciate that you have an interest in this hobby, and music. So, I want too welcome you to this wonderful community!

Paul
From what I see, I see more Gen Z folks than people my age in this hobby interested. I see more teenagers and early 20s folks than I see 32 year olds like me collecting. And that’s great that folks younger than me get it, some people my age do…but not as much.

Paul how much of your demographic is of early 30somethings?
I noticed that as well. Most 78 collectors I know were born between 1980 and 2010, with a big percentage being born in the mid to late 1990s. On the other hand, I know very few collectors born in the late 1950s, 1960s or 1970s. I am thinking that the increased availability of vintage music from the 78 era due to the internet and online streaming services increased interest in 78 collecting for the age group born between 1980 and 2010.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

MATTROSE94 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:02 pm
Edisonfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:03 am I would like to first off apologize to the young people on here, between the ages of 18-24. I had no idea, that anyone in this age bracket would be interested in the music from the 1900’s? Turns out I was wrong. The vast majority of viewers too my YouTube Channel Nipper’s Lounge, are watching my videos. I want you too know, I appreciate that you have an interest in this hobby, and music. So, I want too welcome you to this wonderful community!

Paul
From what I see, I see more Gen Z folks than people my age in this hobby interested. I see more teenagers and early 20s folks than I see 32 year olds like me collecting. And that’s great that folks younger than me get it, some people my age do…but not as much.

I noticed that as well. Most 78 collectors I know were born between 1980 and 2010, with a big percentage being born in the mid to late 1990s. On the other hand, I know very few collectors born in the late 1950s, 1960s or 1970s. I am thinking that the increased availability of vintage music from the 78 era due to the internet and online streaming services increased interest in 78 collecting for the age group born between 1980 and 2010.
The internet and YouTube has helped a lot with that.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Paul

Interesting, I see more Teenagers born in the Mid 2000s than anyone born in the 80s or early 90s like me.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Paul

There's another factor here too, though, in that those of us born from the 50s onward to about 1980 have been collecting for up to 50 years now, and began in a different era when 78s and cylinders were still very commonplace and CHEAP- I mean like 5 and 10c cheap, and even better than that if you bought a collection at a yard sale, and there really wasn't much info out there yet as to what was "valuable" or not- they were all just "old records" that normal people no longer had any interest in whatsoever. It's getting to the point for me, that before I buy a record, I need to seriously ponder "but where will I PUT it?" :lol: No, seriously. Between what I have in my record room/ office and still boxed up in storage I probably have an easy 15,000 78s.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:01 pm ... It's getting to the point for me, that before I buy a record, I need to seriously ponder "but where will I PUT it?" :lol: No, seriously. Between what I have in my record room/ office and still boxed up in storage I probably have an easy 15,000 78s.
Hey, I'm doing the best I can to help out! ;) :squirrel:

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

drh wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:42 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:01 pm ... It's getting to the point for me, that before I buy a record, I need to seriously ponder "but where will I PUT it?" :lol: No, seriously. Between what I have in my record room/ office and still boxed up in storage I probably have an easy 15,000 78s.
Hey, I'm doing the best I can to help out! ;) :squirrel:
Yes, you are! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

This thread seems to have become a little muddled concerning young people being more broad minded about earlier era music, at least in part due to so much earlier music being online now, and young people getting into "the hobby".

The former may be true, the latter I'm not too sure about. A lot of younger people seem to eschew large collections these days. And if they can hear their favorite Henry Burr tunes online, then there is even less motivation to get their hands dirty digging through stacks of 78's looking for Henry Burr records.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

I’m not concerned if they are not buying records! I’m just happy they are just listening too the music!

MATTROSE94
Victor O
Personal Text: ARSC Discography Committee Chairperson and early recorded sound enthusiast based in Central NJ

Post by MATTROSE94 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:21 pm

Interesting, I see more Teenagers born in the Mid 2000s than anyone born in the 80s or early 90s like me.
I met a lot of collectors born between 2004 and 2008 at the last Mechanical Music Extravaganza as well as a lot of collectors born in the 80s and 90s. There were even a few people born in the 70s there who were just starting to collect.