Kansas City Stomp - Jelly Roll Morton : 1923

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Kansas City Stomp - Jelly Roll Morton : 1923

Post by Inigo »

Where's the Credenza hidden... below the Victor? :D
What a sound! I'm trying to do that myself, yet without much success... I've tried reverting the balance springs, so their cups hold ball bearings against the balance plate, and it sounds good, but I cannot get rid of a nasty resonance at a high sustained Caruso note in Love Is Mine, and the reflection of that vibration back to the needle wears the grooves noticeably! No damping at all in this soundbox is not a good solution! Will post some photos and will continue trying things... :?
Inigo

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Edisonfan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:43 pm This video is blocked on my YouTube Chanel. Due too SONY Music Entertainment and YouTube flagging it for copyright infringement. So, I uploaded the video direct to this forum and my Instagram account.
Holy smokes that should be nice. 348 megs.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

For those of you that are not able to download the file posted on the Forum because of the size or slow connection, the Italian HMV pressing of Kansas City Stomps is also available for free streaming in The Library of Historical Audio Recordings at i78s.org. I believe the same take as the US release.

https://i78s.org/preview/f03c96ebcbffae ... 69dbae319f

Click the link and ask for your free Library user account.

Mark

GlensterTX
Victor O

Post by GlensterTX »

You could go to https://youtu.be/zSVD0bWDe6c or one of several other postings of it on YouTube.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

I use an apple iPad. So, not everyone can download the file! I do apologize for this. ;)

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Hi Glen,

That is a good transfer on YouTube but recall that this thread started with the statement that YouTube had removed the OP’s transfer because of objections by the copyright owner, Sony. The above link faces the same challenge.

However, the rules for a public “Library” as the Library of Historical Audio Recordings at i78s.org is known, are not subject to the same rules as a commercial site such as YouTube or Spotify. Borrowing copyrighted material from a library is commonplace. Auditioning material from the Library of Historical Audio Recordings at i78s.org fits the same model. It cannot be downloaded, only auditioned.

I might add that the audio engineering, stylus selection, speed adjustment and the option to hear an archival transfer or a processed transfer is FAR superior to almost anything you will hear on YouTube.

Have any of you here received a Library user account?

Mark