Want info about victor sets V-2 and C-3

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Want info about victor sets V-2 and C-3

Post by drh »

At some point, Victor issued classical sets in distinctive uniform albums with a V prefix; often, "Z" shellac pressings are marked as coming from these things. Without being sure, I *think* they were some sort of special library series sold as a group with a cabinet to house them. Among a few others, I have one that is incomplete, V-2, which is a collection of Mischa Elman violin records, 2 10" and 2 12"--or, at least, that's how the album sleeves are set up. My copy is missing one of the 10" disks. The one that I do have is 1592, coupling "The Swan" from Saint-Saens's Carnival of the Animals with Ravel's Piece en Forme de Habanera. Anybody here know what the other record should be?

I also have an incomplete copy of another "subsidiary series" set, C-3, which I think was called "An Hour with Schubert." The ones marked as such that I have, both on "ring" label RCA Victor pressings, are ss. 3, 4, 7, 8, being as follows:

3 The Hurdy-Gurdy Man, Impatience, Farewell--John McCormack and Victor Salon Group, Shilkret, 6928-A
4 Moments Musicals nos. 5, 2, and 3--Victor Salon Orchestra, Shilkret, 6928-B
7 Medley of Waltzes--Victor Salon Orchestra, Shilkret, 9308-A
8 Minuetto in B Minor and Marche Militaire--same, 9308-B

And then I have an adjacently numbered Victor Talking Machine Co. Orthophonic, which came to me in the same (unrelated, V-series) binder as the foregoing and seems likely to have been reissued in that set:

Hark! Hark! The Lark; Hedge-Roses; Who Is Sylvia--John McCormack and Victor Salon Group, Shilkret, 6926-A
Holy Night; The Trout; Impromptu; To the Lyre--John McCormack and Victor Salon Group, Shilkret, 6926-B

Similar questions: can anyone here fill me in about what's missing from my copy of C-3 and confirm whether the Orthophonic was later issued as part of it?

Many thanks for any and all guidance!

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Want info about victor sets V-2 and C-3

Post by Wolfe »

drh wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:38 pm
3 The Hurdy-Gurdy Man, Impatience, Farewell--John McCormack and Victor Salon Group, Shilkret, 6928-A
My scroll set C-3 "An Hour With Schubert" has for
5 Vienna Waltzes - VSO, Shilkret 9307 A
6 Rosamude Ballet Music VSO, Shilkret 9307 B

Unfortunately, the other a record in there is one from set C-9 slotted in incorrectly, also VSO, Shilkret. It's from "The Music of Rudolph Friml" set.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Want info about victor sets V-2 and C-3

Post by drh »

Wolfe wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:10 pm
drh wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:38 pm
My scroll set C-3 "An Hour With Schubert" has for
5 Vienna Waltzes - VSO, Shilkret 9307 A
6 Rosamude Ballet Music VSO, Shilkret 9307 B

Unfortunately, the other a record in there is one from set C-9 slotted in incorrectly, also VSO, Shilkret. It's from "The Music of Rudolph Friml" set.
I've been hoping someone else would chime in, but it looks like you're the sole respondent. Many thanks!