Unusual Columbia label

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Zenger
Victor I

Unusual Columbia label

Post by Zenger »

After collecting collecting for decades, I am still, not infrequently, coming across labels I have never seen before. Here's one that's entirely new to me. Can anyone tell me anything about it, like when and/or where it was made? And did you have to be a real big-shot to be able to order something like this and have your name printed on the label?
Attachments
Mystery Columbia 1.jpg
Mystery Columbia 2.jpg

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Re: Unusual Columbia label

Post by Pathe Logical »

According to https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... 6188361888 matrices 61883 and 61888, which are very close to the two matrices on your record, were recorded in 1917 in New York City. Hultman's Columbia Personal Records are among the most common of the Columbia Personal Records. I imagine anyone could have records made, as long as they paid the going rate (what ever that was).

Hope this helps,
Bob

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

Columbia, Victor, Gennett, and possibly others all offered services for folks to record personal records. Since the person, or group, that was making the recording(s) bore the entire cost of production, one would certainly have had to possess the means necessary to produce them, certainly beyond the "average Joe's" abilty.
In my experience collecting records for nearly 50 years now, I have found that these personal recordings are not at all common.
Each company produced a variety of label configurations over the years. That's a great one, by the way!! I included some photos of some of the very few I have in my collection.

Steve
Attachments
Columbia Personal
Columbia Personal
Gennett Personal
Gennett Personal
Victor Personal
Victor Personal
Another fun Victor Personal
Another fun Victor Personal

vintagetenor
Victor I

Post by vintagetenor »

Hi Zenger,

I've got a Columbia personal record in my collection with that same label design. Unfortunately, I just moved and much of my collection is still in boxes.

The record is Henry Burr singing "In My Merry Oldsmobile" and was made for the Oldsmobile Motor Company. Years ago, I dated it to 1915 by the matrix number. If I find it soon I'll post a photo here.

vintagetenor
Victor I

Post by vintagetenor »

I found it. It's a vocal by Henry Burr with orchestra accompaniment.

The matrix number, 91000, is also in the run out area. That dates it to 1918.
Attachments
Olds Special.jpg