Why don't my clean early black cylinders sound very good?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Why don't my clean early black cylinders sound very good?

Post by eighteenbelow »

I recently picked up a large lot of early Edison and Columbia black cylinders -- most are the kind that don't have any information embossed in the rim. They look very clean, and don't appear to have much wear, but they don't sound terribly clear; I have tried them on several different machines, too, including Edisons with C reproducers, and Columbias with floating reproducers. All the reproducers are good, so they're not the problem. The only thing I can add about the cylinders that may be useful to someone is that they seem, somehow, "soft," or "tacky," with a kind of cloudiness (definitely not mold, though; I am all too familiar with that, sadly) on the wax. You can see the difference between an unplayed section and a section you have just played; the latter is darker. Any theories?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Why don't my clean early black cylinders sound very good?

Post by JerryVan »

The soft, tacky, cloudiness seems to indicate that your clean cylinders are not clean. Does the sound improve after multiple plays?

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Good clear photos may help us understand better. ;)

James.

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

JerryVan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:45 pm Does the sound improve after multiple plays?
Yes, it does. Still not great, but noticeably better.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

Did you clean the stylus after playing the "cloudy" portions of the cylinder? Whatever it is, it's probably gunking up the stylus.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

If you've been playing a lot of Indestructibles or other celluloid cylinders in the past, then the sapphire could be damaged.

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Thanks, everyone. I do clean the stylus after each play, and the sound is equally bad on two different kinds of reproducers. I've attached three pictures of the same cylinder from the same angle, with different lighting; the dark areas, like the one up toward the top (or the right, as the photos are oriented before you click on them), is where the cylinder has been played recently. I hope this helps you all pinpoint the issue.
Attachments
cylinder a.JPG
cylinder b.JPG
cylinder c.JPG

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

I just took out another cylinder that I hadn't played yet, and played the first half. These pictures show the contrast even better.
Attachments
cylinder aa.JPG
cylinder ab.JPG

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Have you thought of washing the cylinders to clear out any muck that might be at the bottom of the grooves (similar to washing dirty records)?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I freely admit that I'm a novice with cylinders and cylinder machines. However, I can't help worrying that this might be a damaged stylus, a possibility that someone has suggested in a post above. And that the changed visual appearance of the cylinders might be permanent damage. I have a cylinder phonograph which is doing a similar thing, and I won't use it again until I get the reproducer rebuilt or source one in good order. Is yours producing any dust as it plays, or fine particles on the cylinder surface? Even just a little? To my mind, that would make this hypothesis pretty much definite.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?