Local lot of 400 Edison disc's

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Local lot of 400 Edison disc's

Post by Herderz »

I have a source that has 400 Edison disc's for sale. he wants to sale the whole lot for $325. I want to talk him into letting me go through them for $1 each but he wants a lot sale. If I can get him to let me go through them what should I be looking for? White label? genera? what? I could buy the whole lot but I do not know what the fallout of bad disc's would be. Any advice would be helpful.
Last edited by Herderz on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Local but of 400 Edison disc's

Post by Inigo »

Wouldn't he be the guy who stole lots of Edison's from that enormous storage lot, whose owner was looking for a buyer one or two months ago...? :o
Inigo

Herderz
Victor II

Re: Local lot of 400 Edison disc's

Post by Herderz »

Would that be in Kentucky?

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

I am looking at 11 miles from my house.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I would still ask to go through them, with the understanding that you'll buy them all, if the condition of the discs look good. Maybe that's what you meant though. Anyway, in general, white label DD's with numbers 52000 and over would likely be good prospects. If you could find a copy of "Charleston" in there, it would pay to buy the whole bunch. If they're all black label discs, I wouldn't want them for free. (But that's just me) Best of luck!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:43 pm I would still ask to go through them, with the understanding that you'll buy them all, if the condition of the discs look good. Maybe that's what you meant though. Anyway, in general, white label DD's with numbers 52000 and over would likely be good prospects. If you could find a copy of "Charleston" in there, it would pay to buy the whole bunch. If they're all black label discs, I wouldn't want them for free. (But that's just me) Best of luck!
Except for the early frosty-label embossed discs! They have celluloid surfaces that are almost silent, and they are beautifully recorded. Unfortunately, the celluloid sometimes shrank so many are found with cracks and delamination of the surfaces.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Some of the black-label DD's can be favorite records. "Madelon--I'll Be True to the Whole Regiment" by Arthur Fields is great, and that's a fairly scratchy sounding record even on a clean copy--but it's still just SUCH a good song.

If you have an Edison phonograph and can get 400 records for $325, I would say go get some records.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Charles,

There are always exceptions, and that would be one of them. A nice "tune" indeed.