Reasonable price for Diamond Discs ?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
De Soto Frank
Victor V

Reasonable price for Diamond Discs ?

Post by De Soto Frank »

Can anyone suggest a reasonable price for the average, non-remarkable performance/artist Edison Diamond Disc in good to excellent condition ?

Or some on-line place to get an idea ?

( I'm getting a little tired of antique dealers / flea marketeers asking $10-$20 a piece for "those weird, old thick records... they must be really valuable." )

Thanks...

DS Frank
De Soto Frank

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Reasonable price for Diamond Discs ?

Post by gramophoneshane »

On the rare occasion I find DDs in the wild, dealers here price them at about $7 each, but even the worst titles tend to get much more on ebay here.
From what I remember when I regularly checked US ebay, average-ish stuff sold for between about $3-$10 (if they sold at all).

Edisone
Victor IV

Re: Reasonable price for Diamond Discs ?

Post by Edisone »

Last time I bought any in a shop, $2 each was the asking price. I picked 20 out of several big piles, but the owner insisted that for $40, I "get all these damned things outta here!" ... So, it came down to $40 for 168 discs. There were still only 20 that I really wanted, though.

I got stuck with the 1902 Encyclopedia Brittanica, the same way: I wanted a $15 light fixture at a flea market, but the seller insisted I take the immense book set as well - no extra charge. It's good for anything up to 1900, anyway.

An acoustic Edison disc has to be something special for me to fork over more than $2, and EXTRA special for more than $5. Electric Edisons are more like $10 and up, but only for good instrumentals.