Edison Liver Story: Background Info, Please

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Dave D
Victor IV

Edison Liver Story: Background Info, Please

Post by Dave D »

Where was the original of this found? I assume it was just something done for fun one day and forgotten about. Can anyone tell me where it was found, who found it, or anything interesting about it? I plan to be playing this on Saturday at the Thomas Edison Depot Museum for a special event we are having.
Thanks!
Dave D

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: Edison Liver Story: Background Info, Please

Post by pallophotophone »

It seems to me there was a card issued with or published at the same time as the recording that gave particulars about it. Actually the more I think about it, I know there was as I saw one of them.
Sorry I can't recall what was printed on it..

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Chief Recording Engineer Walter Miller encouraged Edison to make this record (in fact, the first thing you will hear is Edison calling out “Hey, Walter Miller …”). It seems that Miller, in later years, produced a number of celluloid copies from this 2-minute mould. The story that Edison recounts on the cylinder appears to be typical of his sense of humour, numerous accounts of which appear in both contemporary newspaper articles and various biographies.

FROM

https://www.vulcanrecords.com/shop/thom ... ver-story/

And they seem to have a booklet

Hear it here

https://archive.org/details/EDIS-SRP-0158-06

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

In the 1980’s The Electrophone Co. out of New York issued it on their early plastic type records. I sold my copy about 10 years ago and purchased a copy from Vulcan Cylinders in the UK. From what I remember the piece of paper included with the Electrophone copy included the dialogue of his story. The cylinder is interesting and comical and is a great opportunity to hear Edison Speak.

Around 1888, Edison recorded a cylinder which is Around the World on the Phonograph, I purchased a copy on brown resin about a decade ago and it’s interesting to hear the younger Edison. He talks a lot making stops in various major cities around the world.