What is your most wanted record?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: What is your most wanted record?

Post by audiophile102 »

The holy grail of records for me is Red and Miff's stompers on Edison records. Both sides are outstanding.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

For the longest time it was Victor 22409, Bernie Cummins with "Living in the Sunlight" but it popped up on eBay and I got it. Alas, as with most any time a coveted record comes up, I probably spent much more than it was worth.

Now I'm looking for a copy of Bing Crosby singing "Have You Ever Seen A Dream Walking" as I'm a huge fan of the movie "Lady in White" and would love to play this on my Credenza at our Halloween parties. I have a copy of him singing "Ichabod Crane" which I found many moons ago. Oh, here's one I'll never get... Bing Crosby singing Mele Kalikimaka on 78. I've been looking for years, never seen on in the wild and the ones that come up on eBay start off too high to even start a bid on...

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

ANY Austin Pete cajun records for me. I would also like a copy of "Take me out to the ballgame".

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

travisgreyfox wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:45 am ANY Austin Pete cajun records for me. I would also like a copy of "Take me out to the ballgame".
I seem to remember you mentioning that before, an ancestor, right?

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

audiophile102 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:01 am The holy grail of records for me is Red and Miff's stompers on Edison records. Both sides are outstanding.
I'm pretty sure I still have the tooling for "Black Bottom Stomp" and "Hurricane"

travisgreyfox wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:45 am ANY Austin Pete cajun records for me. I would also like a copy of "Take me out to the ballgame".
I have both the Victor and Columbia versions available (reproductions).

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

It's rather modern, but a copy of Cry Cry Cry on Sun. I just love both sides of that record.

zipcord
Victor I

Post by zipcord »

any original Robert Johnson 78

Bob E.
Victor Jr

Post by Bob E. »

Any Leroy Shield 78 (primarily as listed artist, rather than as "Accompanist"...). He was responsible for a lot of the music for Hal Roach Studios shorts, principally Our Gang and Laurel & Hardy. I would particularly like Victor scroll 22548, "Sing Song Girl"...I love the song, but the only version I own is by R. Crumb and his Cheap Suit Serenaders!

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

UpstateNYBilly
Victor O
Personal Text: Phonatic

Little Ah Sid - read by Jackie Coogan

Post by UpstateNYBilly »

I've never seen a copy but I understand it exists. "Little Ah Sid" - read by child actor Jackie Coogan
Attachments
Little Ah Sid.jpg
Little Ah Sid.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

zipcord wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:05 pm any original Robert Johnson 78
This!

And any of several dozen widely varying records, very difficult and pointless to rank. It's an impossible question, just as I find singling out any kind of favourite amongst most fields is impossible - too limiting, comparing apples with pears, etc, etc. But to seize on a prime example semi-randomly, I'll say Charles Fulcher: My Pretty Girl.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?