What is your most wanted record?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: What is your most wanted record?

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I am looking for the Colonel Bogey March on Blue Amberol records and hope to find it at the APS Show on Saturday the 20th.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

It is 23346 in the British Series, played by the National Military band. Good luck in your search.

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi,

t would be nice to see, a picture or the disc itself, of one of the Last Berliner Records, 0228, by 'Sousa's Band:' The Stars & Stripes Forever March. There could well have been TWO versions, but neither has surfaced. The later rendition was done in April 1900.

Although there is some evidence that it was shown ON the front cover of the last US Berliner catalog (June 1900), the problem is that the only surviving copy of this 16-page catalog does not have its original covers, front or back.

Much of the research behind this disc was described in the March 2022 issue of The Antique Phonograph. It would be the usual 7" variety, black, single-sided, etc. Your reward awaits you.

Allen

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I'd like to find a copy of Edison 2 minute 10134,"Shine On Harvest Moon, by Billy Murray and Ada Jones to replace the one I had an unfortunate accident with. edisonplayer.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Any slow Billie Holiday recordings, but not "Strange Fruit".

All Of Me, as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI5ORDi7yOs

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

I would love too find a Black Patti, but they are extremely rare and expensive.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

I once had a late (moulded) brown-wax Columbia cylinder of a delightful old song from the 1890s, In the Shadow of the Pines, sung by Byron G. Harlan and Frank C. Stanley. The sentimental but touching melody, the warm tones of Stanley in the solo verse and the delicate but not too obtrusive filigree-work of the pianist combined to make this the most enjoyable cylinder, considered purely as music, that I have ever heard. Unfortunately it had a full-length crack and eventually it flew to pieces altogether. I wish I could find another copy. There is a later black-wax version on YouTube, but somehow it does not quite achieve the same magic.

Of records which I have never owned or heard in the flesh, I would give pride of place to the 1914 H.M.V. disc (or discs, since I think it began life as two single-sided black-label records) of Weber's Freischütz Overture by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Arthur Nikisch.

Oliver Mundy.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’ll be happy if I even a get a Carter Family or Jimmie Rogers 78!

Put my most wanted as ANY record made before 1901. I just cant get anything older than 1901 discs or cylinders.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Probably "Treasures Untold", "Jimmie The Kid" or "Hobo's Meditation" by Jimmie Rodgers- especially the latter two. Alas, Jimmie Rodgers records are scarce, and scarcer too in enjoyable listening condition. Plus, I live north of the Dixon line!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

When I started this thread my most wanted record was Fonotipia 39439/39440, but to my amazement I found a very nice copy of it at the CLPGS Malvern weekend earlier this month. If that had been my only find at Malvern I would still have gone home happy, but amongst other things I bought 20 more Fonotipias and 6 cylinders. Now I must decide what other record will take the top place on my wanted list.

Has anyone else found their most wanted record yet?
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image (2).jpg