Rule Britannia cylinder

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
zapper
Victor II

Rule Britannia cylinder

Post by zapper »

Can anyone help me with a date for an Edison Bell cylinder that I bought last week. It is titled Rule Britannia, etc #20071 by L.R.B. This sadly is very timely as the introduction says Rule Britannia and God save the King?
Brian

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Rule Britannia cylinder

Post by gramophoneshane »

I would have thought one of the CLPGS boys would have chimed in by now.
I wonder if it might be worth asking again in the British machine section as I have no idea whether they all read every section of the forum like I do?
Judging by the record number I'm guessing this is a black gold moulded record?

It might worth mentioning whether it has a flat end with raised or embossed and paint filled text, or a bevelled edge, as that could help narrow down the time period it was made.
If you've got the original lid and possibly original box it may also help to include a picture of those?

I've only got a small collection of about 20 GM and NP cylinders, so I know very little about dating them, and even those go through several changes made to box manufacturing styles and various lid styles, so that could possibly help guestimate a certain time period of manufacture if recording or release dates are unknown.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I'd actually be very interested to know what the 20000 series was.

All mine are either 3 digit numbers, or they fall into the 10000 series range.
I'm guessing these are all something like a standard British or popular series?

I do have a couple CLPGS EB catalogues of first series brown and volume 6 foreign series cylinders, with various countries falling in the 12000, 15000, 16000, 17000, 18000, 19000 and 21000, with maybe a dozen or so 20700 range in the Hawaiian and Hungarian series.

So I can't help but wonder, what series does 20070 belong to?

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

Hi Gramophoneshane
Thanks for your thoughts. It is a black moulded cylinder, with beveled edge. Unfortunately it has not got the correct box/ lid, so I cannot tell from that. Maybe someone with a catalogue will be able to help
Brian

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

gramophoneshane wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:20 am I'd actually be very interested to know what the 20000 series was.

All mine are either 3 digit numbers, or they fall into the 10000 series range.
I'm guessing these are all something like a standard British or popular series?

I do have a couple CLPGS EB catalogues of first series brown and volume 6 foreign series cylinders, with various countries falling in the 12000, 15000, 16000, 17000, 18000, 19000 and 21000, with maybe a dozen or so 20700 range in the Hawaiian and Hungarian series.

So I can't help but wonder, what series does 20070 belong to?
HI , the catalogue of foreign issues to which you refer is for EDISON records , not Edison - Bell. Edison - Bell was a solely British company founded in 1892 , but re-organized a few times over the years keeping the same company brand name. it is a common mis-understanding that the two companies were one and the same . Regards from UK
Last edited by Dulcetto on Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

zapper wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:56 am Hi Gramophoneshane
Thanks for your thoughts. It is a black moulded cylinder, with beveled edge. Unfortunately it has not got the correct box/ lid, so I cannot tell from that. Maybe someone with a catalogue will be able to help
Brian
HI Brian , your 20071 cylinder is part of the " New Process " series that was introduced by Edison - Bell in May , 1908. The " New Process " series are all numbered in the 20000's and were manufactured from 1908 until the end of cylinder production by Edison Bell in 1914. Some of the master recordings used for this series were actually re-issues that had appeared previously in the 10000 series which were known as "The New EB " , introduced in 1906. For further reading , I thoroughly recommend " The Story of Edison - Bell " by Dominic Combe , available at very modest cost from the CLPGS -- the booklet is one of their "reference series " , available to CLPGS members and non - members alike . Regards

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Dulcetto wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:16 am HI , the catalogue of foreign issues to which you refer is for EDISON records , not Edison - Bell.
So it is :roll:
That was clever of me lol.
Thanks for pointing that out.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Dulcetto wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:26 am HI Brian , your 20071 cylinder is part of the " New Process " series that was introduced by Edison - Bell in May , 1908. The " New Process " series are all numbered in the 20000's and were manufactured from 1908 until the end of cylinder production by Edison Bell in 1914. Some of the master recordings used for this series were actually re-issues that had appeared previously in the 10000 series which were known as "The New EB " , introduced in 1906. For further reading , I thoroughly recommend " The Story of Edison - Bell " by Dominic Combe , available at very modest cost from the CLPGS -- the booklet is one of their "reference series " , available to CLPGS members and non - members alike . Regards
Brilliant information thank you.
I've now reorganise all my EB black wax cylinders, hopefully a little bit more correctly than before.
I've only got 2 NP boxes, neither with a lid label, and it turns out I had 2 NP cylinders in New EB boxes, so they're now in the right boxes.
All the others are either in the 500-900's range, or 10000's except one.
It's record number is 6805.
Is that part of a specific series, or its just part of a change of catalogue number blocks?
With so few Edison Bell cylinders it's not so easy for me to tell how their numbering system worked.