Question on wax cylinders

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
flashpanblue
Victor III

Question on wax cylinders

Post by flashpanblue »

I read recently that one of the large cylinder archives in the U.S. takes precaution to ensure that the cylinder boxes are vented by punching a one inch diameter hole in the bottoms. What do you guys think of this? Do any of you actually do something like this. I might be willing to punch a small quarter inch hole in the bottom if I was sure it would help. At least that would not deface the original box too much!!
Pete

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Question on wax cylinders

Post by gramophoneshane »

I dont see the need if the cylinders are stored under proper conditions anyway. If I was that concerned about ventilation, I think I'd rather just leave the lids off the boxes.
The only holes I ever punch in boxes are in the bottom of 4M Amberols & BA's with tight lids, to prevent the top of the lids blowing out, and the hole is about the size of a loud tone needle.

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Seems like a wholly unnecesssary desecration of original cylinder boxes to me. I am sure if stored under correct conditions there would be no need to do this. Or if they were concerned about damp put a small sachet of silica gel inside each tube.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I think a small hole in the bottom, or a few pin holes, would be ok for cylinders. I grew up in the midwest wher we have extreame temperature and humidity changes, in the summer I had to watch my two min records closely, and one summer I had some get coaated with the spores, and I got to them before any damage set in, the bacteria start out as round white spheres, I wish I got a picture, as I have never seen that since . I used lysole on the boxes and set the boxes in the sun for a day. The records were wiped off with a dry cloth and alcohol. If you need boxes, ACME Spirally Wound Paper Products can make cylinder boxes, and you can suggest they make tube mandrells in the middle, which keep moisture away from the surface, that is why I sell my cylinders in boxes with pegs, and not batting.