Columbia Advertising Demonstration records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Columbia Advertising Demonstration records

Post by drh »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:17 am
drh wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:30 pm The other side is indeed "The Owl and the Pussycat," sung to the tune of "The Old Cross Bow" from Reginald de Koven's Robin Hood.
According to legend, Robin Hood used a longbow. It was William Tell who used a crossbow.
The aria isn't about Robin Hood; it just occurs in an operetta about him. Some of his merry men sing this ditty about a hapless tailor who tries to kill a crow with a crossbow. Here's a bit more about it: https://lateralcut.wordpress.com/category/operetta/

By the by, I was fortunate to hear one of the rare modern productions of Robin Hood, and it's a good show.

Flying Dutchman
Victor I
Personal Text: Moby says hello…

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Thank you!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

It was only recently I discovered that my BA28165 "Oh Promise Me", sung by Marie Rappold, came from "Robin Hood".
I grew up in Nottinghamshire and remember many Sunday afternoon outings to Sherwood Forest.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 pm It was only recently I discovered that my BA28165 "Oh Promise Me", sung by Marie Rappold, came from "Robin Hood".
I grew up in Nottinghamshire and remember many Sunday afternoon outings to Sherwood Forest.
Two other frequently recorded numbers from Robin Hood are "The Armorer's Song" and "Brown October Ale." The show is littered with good tunes; I can see why it was so popular (at least on this side of the Atlantic).