Caruso’s 150th Birthday

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
dennis
Victor I

Caruso’s 150th Birthday

Post by dennis »

Enrico Caruso’s 150th birthday is the 25th. Are there any events/celebrations/recognitions planned for this by any companies or individuals?

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Caruso’s 150th Birthday

Post by Wolfe »

Probably not. But we can celebrate with an early selection from the young Caruso. Video not mine.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Previously [I have told the BBC that this is an important anniversary, and have asked to hear Caruso on Radio 3 (the BBC's classical music radio station) during their Breakfast programme which is broadcast between 7 and 9am daily. I will be listening for my request on the 25th.]

Well although they acknowledged receipt of my email, the BBC did not feature Caruso in today's Breakfast programme. Philistines!

I shall content myself by watching "The Great Caruso" on DVD this evening and play some records. I would not normally play Caruso on a portable, but on this one I may make an exception :
Attachments
IMG_2484.JPG
IMG_2460.JPG
Last edited by epigramophone on Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

dennis
Victor I

Post by dennis »

There are some interesting posts by the Dead Tenor’s Society on YouTube and Facebook regarding Caruso’s 150th Birthday.

Titta Ruffo
Victor Jr

Post by Titta Ruffo »

3 weeks ago I won a lot of around 160 discs of Caruso. Mostly one sided Monarch with a few extra LPs as a bonus. One disc was slightly broken off on the edge. The rest looks good. There is also some 5 mixed foxtrot discs, so maybe it's around 155 of Caruso, I didn't have time to go through it yet properly.

Friday, after work I took a trip to Paris to collect them (900 km one way). I've got one speed ticket. In Brussels thiews broke a window in my car. Hotels and the trip itsels were more expensive than the auction price for the records, but I am very happy that I got them.

It is probably not possible to own all of the Caruso records, right? How rare are his Pathé discs and cylinders?

I've got an information about this auction from a very nice French ebay seller from whom I've bought few single discs of Caruso before.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230131-191343_Chrome.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Titta Ruffo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:52 am It is probably not possible to own all of the Caruso records, right? How rare are his Pathé discs and cylinders?
The Pathé discs are not that rare - I have some of them, the center-started etched labels and also a scarce paper label issue - and these are copied from the cylinders by pantography. I have never seen a Caruso Pathé cylinder, I presume it is rare. But the real rarity are the blue Zonophones he recorded in Milan. These always fetch a lot of money in the few times they are put for sale. All the other Caruso recordings are still plentiful and easily found, like you did with your Parisian stash.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Pathé and Zonophone Caruso are rare in the U.S. Victor, HMV, or Opera Disc for the most part.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

According to this, most of the Caruso records trading for the highest amount are blue Zonophones and Pathé cylinders. No surprise.

https://www.valueyourmusic.com/items?q= ... esc&utf8=✓

Back to the birthday merrymaking... :coffee:

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I missed out on this one but happy 150th to a very powerful voice. If only he stayed alive enough to record with a microphone.