"Supervised by Mary Lou Williams"

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

"Supervised by Mary Lou Williams"

Post by drh »

I have this set, "Trends," Disc 705, two 78s apparently dating to 1947. The cover, as you can see, attributes it to Mary Lou Williams. The text inside the cover and the labels, however, indicate the numbers were played by Milton Orent-Frank Roth Orchestra (piano by Frank Roth) "supervised by Mary Lou Williams." Anybody here have an idea what "supervised by" means? Was she acting like an orchestra conductor? Just presiding over the recording session? Choosing the repertory and then letting the band have at it? Something else? Curious minds want to know--or, at least, mine does!
Attachments
Williams.JPG

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: "Supervised by Mary Lou Williams"

Post by Roaring20s »

This from another Disc recording that uses the same "supervised by" phrase.
Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 8.09.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 8.09.32 PM.png (552.09 KiB) Viewed 313 times
The liner notes on this CD lists her as Director.
https://www.oldies.com/product-view/77754R.html
In 1947, ten males known as the Milton Orent-Frank Roth Orchestra recorded two very boppish sides for the Disc label under the direction of Williams, a big-band arrangement of her "Lonely Moments" and the catchy "Whistle Blues."

James.

PS:
https://www.berklee.edu/careers/roles/m ... he%20group.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: "Supervised by Mary Lou Williams"

Post by drh »

That does clarify matters a bit. Thanks!

Incidentally, in addition to the one you pictured and "Whistler's Blues," my set includes "Spring Fantasy" and "Wild Rose," the latter being a jazz arrangement of "To a Wild Rose" from Edward MacDowell's Woodland Sketches.