What is the most expensive record you own?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor VI

Re: What is the most expensive record you own?

Post by 52089 »

I have purchased a few Edison Long Play records, the most expensive of which was $135 shipped, IIRC.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

It is probably an LP, Clive Zanda - Clive Zanda Is Here With " Dat KInda Ting" Calypsojazz Innovations, the original first release.

I paid $2.50 CDN for it as a used record in mint condition.

At one time it was very rare, and prices on Discogs were as high as $1,600 US. It stayed this way for quite some time. My son kept bugging me to sell it. But with a reissue prices have fallen.

However, someone is still hopeful.
2023-04-07 17.01.56 www.discogs.com 818071743bd4.png

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Honestly I don't even know. :lol: Maybe a Wolverines on Gennett... maybe one of the Benny Goodman/ Billie Holiday blue wax Columbias from 1933- maybe one of the Glenn Miller 1935 blue wax Columbias... Maybe one of the copies of the Harry James/ Frank Sinatra Brunswicks. Or could it be one of the 52000 Diamond Discs? Maybe "PopCorn Man" by Benny Goodman.
I enjoy the music. Yes, I know I've spent WAY too much on records in my lifetime. It doesn't bother me. What WILL bother me is if I croak before the Boss of all Bosses does and she sells them for what she thinks I paid. :?

I am an idiot when it comes to records. I will admit that I paid over $200 some years ago for a copy of the Victor "Symposium Of Swing" album set. Why? Because not only was it MINT, it was only the second copy I'd ever seen with original gold print labels in 50 years of collecting! Sometimes it's a just a geek thing... and that's kind of important to this maroon. :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I've never paid serious money for a record, but honestly, I just enjoy the music and I quickly forget what I paid for the records. If it's about "what their worth" then it's not fun anymore, (to me at least).

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I can think of several that I paid mucho dinero for.edisonplayer.

derik_olson
Victor Jr

Post by derik_olson »

Julius King – Mississippi Boogie / One O'clock Boogie
Tennessee – 127

I paid $600, but on the way home it suffered an internal hairline crack. Does not sound during play but I don't think it's worth what I paid after that. It was a bummer of a day.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have a Victor scroll label by the Memphis Jug Band in E- condition. If I remember correctly, I paid $300 for it.edisonplayer.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

For me, I would guess by the number of times I have been asked if I would sell it, Al Bowlly with Ray Noble and His Orchestra: "Midnight, the Stars and You" on Victor 24700. I have seen copies sell for nearly $600.