Artists like Lizzie Miles?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Artists like Lizzie Miles?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Introduced some blues music to my girlfriend and she likes it. We were listening to Stranger Blues on a Vocalion 78, blue label, I don't have numbers for it.

Who are some artists like Ms Miles I can look for? I know almost nothing about blues but am reading a book on it and trying to figure it out. Only recently did I really start liking it, so it is underrepresented in my record collection.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Artists like Lizzie Miles?

Post by edisonplayer »

I have a couple of her records. One is on blue gold band Columbia, the other is on Victor. edisonplayer.

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

Anything by Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Victoria Spivey, Sara Martin, Mamie Smith, Trixie Smith, Ethel Waters, Ida Cox, Sippie Wallace, Alberta Hunter, Edith Wilson, Clara Smith, Bertha "Chippie" Hill or Lucille Hegamin. All good stuff from that era.

Steve

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

ChesterCheetah18 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:46 pm Anything by Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Victoria Spivey, Sara Martin, Mamie Smith, Trixie Smith, Ethel Waters, Ida Cox, Sippie Wallace, Alberta Hunter, Edith Wilson, Clara Smith, Bertha "Chippie" Hill or Lucille Hegamin. All good stuff from that era.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Those are some names I can work with.

I'm going to have to be prepared to wait awhile and pick them up slowly.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:51 pm
ChesterCheetah18 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:46 pm Anything by Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Victoria Spivey, Sara Martin, Mamie Smith, Trixie Smith, Ethel Waters, Ida Cox, Sippie Wallace, Alberta Hunter, Edith Wilson, Clara Smith, Bertha "Chippie" Hill or Lucille Hegamin. All good stuff from that era.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Those are some names I can work with.

I'm going to have to be prepared to wait awhile and pick them up slowly.
Some of these artists were reissued in album set format during the recording ban of 1942-44 and the reissues are quite good quality, esp. the Columbia sets.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

George makes a good point. Having been pressed from original masters, those later reissues are mostly very good, not to mention much less costly than the original releases. There were also 1940s reissues on the UHCA, HRS, Biltmore and other labels. Virtually all of those were dubs of original records, so the quality is hit or miss.

Steve

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Steve and George thanks both for that information. I'm probably going to have to go look around eventually. Nothing beats good records.

The 1940s Columbia's have good surfaces (a lot of my classical music albums are blue label Masterworks.) Playing them on a later, Orthophonic style machine, is pretty decent sound. I use my portable grafonola or my Panatrope console.

Reissue hunting sounds like the plan then.