Later 2 Minute Cylinders

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
MisterGramophone
Victor I
Personal Text: I love shellac!

Later 2 Minute Cylinders

Post by MisterGramophone »

I have been wondering when 2 minute cylinders ceased production by every single company. Some people say it was around 1909, others say 1920, others say 1915, I can’t get a definitive date or what the last 2 minute cylinder was a recording of.
Gramophone :pig:

Wagnerian
Victor II

Re: Later 2 Minute Cylinders

Post by Wagnerian »

I would guess that "Clarion Record Company Limited of London" would have been the last commercial recording and producer of two minute wax cylinders.

Production seems to have faded away sometime in the mid 1920s. "Dulcetto" who posts on here occaisionally has a Clarion catalogue dated, I seem to remember, 1923 or 1924 or some time around about then.

Goodness only knows how many copies of each 2-minute minute cylinder were actually sold? It can't have been many as the late issues rarely turn up and those that do are frequently rendered unplayable by mold.

All the best

Tim W-W

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Later 2 Minute Cylinders

Post by edisonplayer »

Edison made 2 minutes until 1912 just before he came out with the Blue Amberol in October.I believe Columbia stopped with their own in 1907,and Indestructible (Federal)made them up to 1920.edisonplayer.