Starr Gennett record - Canadian or American?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
FredSugarHall_fan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!

Starr Gennett record - Canadian or American?

Post by FredSugarHall_fan »

Hello everyone,

I found this record about a year ago in a record store in Michigan. I didn't think much of the label when I bought it (I was still fairly uneducated about dance band 78s and pseudonyms and assumed that the pseudonyms in the record label might've been Fred Hall ones, so I bought it), but now I am wondering if this is a Canadian or American record. The label clearly says Gennett but it also has the Starr Piano Company of Canada listed at the top as well. I am primarily curious because I have heard that the American Starr records are rarities, and although I doubt I have a rarity on my hands, I just want to make sure. I also thought someone might find this record interesting. It was a neat find and had a good song on the A-side.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Attachments
20240302_233329.jpg
Side note: this is the side I prefer (no pun intended).
Side note: this is the side I prefer (no pun intended).

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Re: Starr Gennett record - Canadian or American?

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

That is a Canadian pressing. I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a U.S. Starr record. Hathorne and Sheble did market a Star record in the U.S. but those are earlier (pre-1910 I think) and are much more scarce.

Steve
Attachments
20240303_091717.jpg

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!

Post by FredSugarHall_fan »

ChesterCheetah18 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:25 am That is a Canadian pressing. I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a U.S. Starr record. Hathorne and Sheble did market a Star record in the U.S. but those are earlier (pre-1910 I think) and are much more scarce.

Steve
Thank you, Steve! I've never even heard of the pre-1910 Star record, but I love the little logo on the area around the spindle!

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

FredSugarHall_fan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:27 pm
ChesterCheetah18 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:25 am That is a Canadian pressing. I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a U.S. Starr record. Hathorne and Sheble did market a Star record in the U.S. but those are earlier (pre-1910 I think) and are much more scarce.

Steve
Thank you, Steve! I've never even heard of the pre-1910 Star record, but I love the little logo on the area around the spindle!
You're welcome. After hitting the books, I have found that the first U.S. label produced by the Starr Piano Company was indeed a Starr label. Introduced in 1915, these were 150 l.p.i. vertical cut records. After Starr introduced the Gennett label in October 1917 (also a fine groove vertical cut master), the Starr label was phased out. It continued to be used in Canada as the Starr-Gennett label.

Steve

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

FredSugarHall_fan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:27 pm

Steve
You're welcome. After hitting the books, I have found that the first U.S. label produced by the Starr Piano Company was indeed a Starr label. Introduced in 1915, these were 150 l.p.i. vertical cut records. After Starr introduced the Gennett label in October 1917 (also a fine groove vertical cut master), the Starr label was phased out. It continued to be used in Canada as the Starr-Gennett label.

Steve

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Here's an image I found online of the U.S. Starr label.

Steve
Attachments
Screenshot_20240303-183320_Google.jpg