1925 Columbia record catalog.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonplayer
Victor IV

1925 Columbia record catalog.

Post by edisonplayer »

I have a 1925 Columbia record catalog.Does any one else have one?Has any else noticed that there are asterisks in front of some of the selections.For a long time I wondered why,then it came to me that they were for records that would be cut by the next catalog, although it didn't specifically say.Electric recording was on the horizon.Does anyone know? edisonplayer.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: 1925 Columbia record catalog.

Post by edisonplayer »

The curious thing was that in the catalog Columbia didn't say why they had the asterisks in front of some record numbers.Either they were records that would be cut out by the 1926 catalog or ones they had a limited stock of.Perhaps the Columbia dealers would've had a special list.It's a mystery.edisonplayer.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

In the online version of the catalog -- https://archive.org/details/columbia-19 ... gue_202205 -- the poster speculates that it has something to do with the popularity of the selections, but that's only a guess.

In the text version of the page -- https://archive.org/stream/columbia-192 ... e_djvu.txt -- the first use of the asterisk appears next to "* Alphabetical List of Artists" but that's hardly a clue, unless it refers to the fact that multiple listings for the records appear under various topic categories.

OrthoFan

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In HMV catalogues the asterisk marked records were those that will no longer be in stock, bring removed in the next catalogue.
Inigo