Impulse Purchase of Record Carrier

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Lah Ca
Victor III

Impulse Purchase of Record Carrier

Post by Lah Ca »

A new item to add to my backlog of projects, a battered record carrier, containing about 30, mostly UK, pressed 78s.

Probably paid too much at about $18 US. But I have wanted one for some time. I will redo this one and try to match one of my portables in general appearance.

The basic construction of the wooden box for the case is sound. I do not like the way the numbered dividers inside the case are installed, however: they are notched and fit on to small cross pieces of wood lower down in the case. The dividers can be easily removed, but the cross pieces will probably prevent carrying records in normal sleeves.

I am not familiar with most of the recording artists on the records in the case, but I found one Al Bowly disk, which from my wife's point of view justifies the entire purchase. :D
Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-37-09.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-37-09.png (617.34 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-36-42.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-37-52.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-39-11.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-38-50.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-38-34.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-38-13.png

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Impulse Purchase of Record Carrier

Post by poodling around »

Lah Ca wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:51 pm A new item to add to my backlog of projects, a battered record carrier, containing about 30, mostly UK, pressed 78s.

Probably paid too much at about $18 US. But I have wanted one for some time. I will redo this one and try to match one of my portables in general appearance.

The basic construction of the wooden box for the case is sound. I do not like the way the numbered dividers inside the case are installed, however: they are notched and fit on to small cross pieces of wood lower down in the case. The dividers can be easily removed, but the cross pieces will probably prevent carrying records in normal sleeves.

I am not familiar with most of the recording artists on the records in the case, but I found one Al Bowly disk, which from my wife's point of view justifies the entire purchase. :D

Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-37-09.png

Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-36-42.png

Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-37-52.png

Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-39-11.png

Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-38-50.png

Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-38-34.png

Screenshot from 2024-04-02 10-38-13.png
I have a few cases like this - in worse condition though.

If you show how you 'do it up' I would be very interested to see how you do it !

Here is one of my 'lost causes' which I would like to 'renew' :shock: ......... Oddly, it seems to be a similar design to yours.
Attachments
sf.jpg

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!

Post by FredSugarHall_fan »

Lah Ca wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:51 pm
I'm gonna have to agree with your wife on this one -- and I really don't care for Al Bowlly that much, but his records will usually return the investment, and when the Bowlly title you show me is one of the few that I actually like, I feel that you have scored! Congratulations on your awesome find!

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

poodling around wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:37 pm
I have a few cases like this - in worse condition though.

If you show how you 'do it up' I would be very interested to see how you do it !

Here is one of my 'lost causes' which I would like to 'renew' :shock: ......... Oddly, it seems to be a similar design to yours.
Interesting. It seems to be identical except that yours is the deluxe alligator rexine model.

I probably won't try restoring the rexine. It is too far gone. I will probably strip it off and rebuild the case. I might recover it in leather, tweed or tolex. There is a furniture recycling place near me where I used to be able to buy leather recovered from sofas and chairs. My wife volunteers at a fabric recycling place, where she can get inexpensive fabric. And tolex is cheap.

We shall see. I have to finish the Roberts Bestone machine, yet. It has been put on hold by nice weather which means yard and garden work and rebuilding of old cedar fences.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

FredSugarHall_fan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:58 pm
Lah Ca wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:51 pm
I'm gonna have to agree with your wife on this one -- and I really don't care for Al Bowlly that much, but his records will usually return the investment, and when the Bowlly title you show me is one of the few that I actually like, I feel that you have scored! Congratulations on your awesome find!
Thanks.

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Emerson used cardboard black record boxes along the lines of Victor record boxes (some difference) and I also would be interested in knowing where you get the material to create new and/or reconstruct the old ones? Thanks

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Use ¼" plywood to make the box, using the old one as a pattern, then cover with whatever material is desired.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife