Later Victor Single-Sided 10" Records (Black Label) 1908-12

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Rastus10
Victor I

Later Victor Single-Sided 10" Records (Black Label) 1908-12

Post by Rastus10 »

Once the 16000 double-sided Victor series began in 1908, was there any pattern or criteria as to which records were issued first, or only, on the single-sided series that kept on until 1912? The last in that series is 5872, I believe, about 400(?) after the introduction of double-sided records.

Looking at the Peerless Quartet, for example, all but five or six of their 1908-10 records (about 35 in number) were issued only in the 16000 series. Single-sided only: two; and the few others first on single-sided, then on double-sided, one as late as the 17000 series.

Gene Greene's songs from 1911 show up on both types of records, even those from the same session; the single-sided records were not doubled to my knowledge. Charles King and Elizabeth Brice's records from 1911 are all single-sided; not doubled.

I'm sure that something similar is true for other Victor artists of that period: Billy Murray, Harry Macdonough et al.

Thus, was there some status for the single-sided series songs/artists in those last few years, or even a reason that it was kept going another 3-4 years?