Repairing broken records.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Repairing broken records.

Post by edisonplayer »

Who repairs broken records who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg? edisonplayer.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Repairing broken records.

Post by Curt A »

I'm not aware of anyone who repairs records, BUT you can fix shellac records yourself - easily. Lay the record on a flat surface covered with wax paper (a piece of glass works best) and place a stripe of "WeldBond" glue alongside the crack. Rub the glue into the crack with your finger (It might be necessary to slightly bend the record to open the crack), then wipe off any excess glue with a damp paper towel. Repeat on the other side and let dry for 24 hrs. After it's dry, play it with a steel needle to clean any remaining glue. Test the record by tapping it - it will sound solid like a new unbroken one. It will still make a slight tick when playing, there is no solution for that, but you will have a playable record.

If you are asking about cylinders, that's another story, since glue won't stick to wax. You might try experimenting with heated staples (tp bridge the crack) and applied from the inside of the cylinder... This would be similar to plastic welding. GOOGLE it for ideas.

NOTE: It's important to use WeldBond glue - not Elmers or super glue. This glue dries clear, strong and remains flexible. Since it is water soluble, any excess cleans up with water - BEFORE it hardens - afterwards it is not removable. It's available on Amazon, Home Depot, etc.

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 7.04.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 7.04.39 PM.png (101.58 KiB) Viewed 588 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jmcmahan67
Victor O
Personal Text: If your Victrola predates the Model T, it’s a good thing!

Re: Repairing broken records.

Post by Jmcmahan67 »

I have used the Weldbond method many times, and it works great on all cracks! Twice, I have repaired records broken in three pieces, due to a desire to preserve a rare label. They don’t look great, but will still play without skips. While this is an extreme example, the Weldbond method really does work. Just remember to immediately wipe off the excess glue with a damp (not wet) paper towel.