Edison & Other interesting record sleeves

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Edison & Other interesting record sleeves

Post by Valecnik »

I thought some of you might be interested in some other record sleeves and some of the related advertisement boasting about the quality of the records. This sleeve, unlike the heavy diamond disc sleeve is really on poor quality paper, very thin and almost falling apart.
Edison Needle type w sleeve1.jpg
Edison Needle type w sleeve2.jpg

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Re: Edison & Other interesting record sleeves

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Beautiful sleeve! Thanks for the pix!

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

The record is rare enough, but to find it in an Edison sleeve is la creme de la creme! I have never seen a needle cut Edison " in the wild" here in Canada. They must have been sold up here because one finds the odd late Diamond Disc:I've found DD's from 1929 at flea markets , but the laterals seem to have completely vanished into collections.

Jim

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Jim I think it's indicative of how relatively rare they are even as compared to the last electric diamond discs. Someone else can probably provide more precise information but if I recall correctly they were only sold for three or four months and then in small quantities. Edison record sales of all types had fallen off a cliff by summer 1929.

What seems to me really amazing is the disproportionality between titles recorded and titles printed and offered for sale. The Edison vaults are still full of stuff that was recorded but never released. They must have had big plans that just totally collapsed.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Thank you for these great scans. I have never made it so far to obtain a sleeve and yours gives all the necessary details. And the record inside is nice too!!

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Here's another interesting record sleeve. An early Golden Gate Orchestra on Bell Records. According to the sleeve Bell was an exclusive label for Grants. A pretty cheap flimsy paper compared to the heavy paper used in Diamond Disc sleeves of the time. The backside is blank.
Bell record with sleeve.jpg
Here's a closeup of the record.
Attachments
Bell record.jpg

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Here’s the Bell label above, cut out:

It can also be found in the stock avatar gallery. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.