Post by Discman »

Don't wait, this one includes free shipping:
http://tinyurl.com/aszw82

Dave

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: An Expensive Diamond Disc

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Some people should be banned from selling on Ebay.

:lol:
:squirrel:

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Ouch.

Call me uninformed, but what makes this record worth that kind of money? (And at $1,995, surely the seller could have done better pictures?)

Are the red star Diamond Discs really that rare?

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #320346964749

EDISON DISC VASA PRIHODA WITCH’S DANCE VIOLIN SOLO

VASA PRIHODA OTTO EISEN EDISON DISC #82318 PAGANINI

EDISON DIAMOND DISC # 82318

side a. (PAGANINI) “WITCH’S DANCE” Violin Solo by VASA PRIHODA Pianoforte by OTTO EISEN side b. Le Coq d'Or (RIMSKY-KORSAKOW-KREISLER) “HYMN TO THE SUN” Violin Solo by VASA PRIHODA Pianoforte by OTTO EISEN. Record is in EXCELLENT condition with NO scratches or marks and will be shipped in deluxe secure packaging.

(Click on any of the images below for the full-sized version.)

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

The red star is not rare, that's probably what the seller thought. They were records that Edison didn't think would sell very well and could not be returned by dealers.
Dave

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Maybe the seller thinks someone into witchcraft & sun worship will have to have it, to play as background music while they slaughter goats in the cornfields :D

If you play it backwards you can raise the dead!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Discman wrote:The red star is not rare, that's probably what the seller thought.
Dave,

Thanks for explaining it, although I’ve read up on why Edison did that before...I just wasn’t sure if these ‘order with caution—no returns allowed’ titles were rarer (or perhaps this particular record was rare?)...I can’t say I remember seeing all that many red star Edison Diamond Discs, other than photos or label scans done by other people, so I wondered if perhaps there might have been something special about this particular label.

I guess I thought that because Edison cautioned the dealers to be cautious about ordering these Re-Creations, they might be rarer for it.

I take it that it’s no “Kansas City Kitty”? :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

I wonder what the seller took before setting the price for this.

Beside the price above, his other DD can be seen as a real bargain:

eBay Item #320347260893

And domestic shipping is free too! :lol:

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Here's a short article explaining the "red star" issues.

http://www.mainspringpress.com/edison_redstar.html

"Red Star" Edison diamond discs are common, and the red star does not confer any additional value to the disc.

Rocky

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Why is it that some red star records have a star on both sides, and others only on one side?
Could the dealer return one side of the record, but had to keep the other side? :D

Does anyone know the story behind the "Lilac" star, as found on "Little Grey Sweetheart Of Mine" (50935-R)?

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

gramophoneshane wrote:Why is it that some red star records have a star on both sides, and others only on one side?
Could the dealer return one side of the record, but had to keep the other side? :D
I've heard that Edison switched from placing the red star on one side of the disc to placing it on both sides to eliminate the practice of dealers returning red star discs by having the side without the star face up. In this manner, the discs would not appear to have a red star and a sneaky dealer might be able to return them. Is anyone able to confirm this?

Rocky