CONCERT REPRODUCER HELP NEEDED

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
downsouth
Victor III

CONCERT REPRODUCER HELP NEEDED

Post by downsouth »

Ok guys, I am not familiar with all the aspects of the Victor Concert reproducer. I purchased my first rigid arm machine a Victor M about three months ago. It is missing the horn and elbow so I have decided to put a regular backbracket and taper tone arm on the machine until the correct parts can be found. My question is this, the rigid arm set up came with a Concert reproducer. Can this be used with a back flange gasket similar to the type used on an exhibition and put on the taper type tone arm? Is there a smaller type back flange gasket specific to the Concert type reproducer? I noticed that the holes are closer together on the Concert than the exhibition's back flange. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Wes

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: CONCERT REPRODUCER HELP NEEDED

Post by Curt A »

The rigid arm reproducers are unique to themselves. You correctly noted that there is a difference in the hole pattern between yours and a standard type backmount reproducer - Concert or Exhibition. If you lose that reproducer, you will have a world of pain trying to locate another... just like the elbow. The horn is not a problem, just the elbow.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

Thanks Curt, That's what I was afraid of. Now that I know the reproducers purpose and uniqueness, I need some direction on rebuilding it. I need to know just how it is disassembled. Ive rebuilt plenty of reproducers, but this is my first Concert.

Regards,Wes

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

downsouth wrote:Thanks Curt, That's what I was afraid of. Now that I know the reproducers purpose and uniqueness, I need some direction on rebuilding it. I need to know just how it is disassembled. Ive rebuilt plenty of reproducers, but this is my first Concert.

Regards,Wes
Wes, You may want to read these threads. You may have to sacrifice the mica.These reproducers were pressed together.

Therefore, you may want to leave as is. Unless you feel it must be done.
Myself, I would rather have an all original concert over one that that has been taken apart. However, that's just me... ;).
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... reproducer
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... reproducer