The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:52 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:52 am
Posts: 347
Location: St. Albans, UK
Hi,

I'm in need of a sapphire stylus to play Pathé records. The following stylus is being offered in France at 28 Euros, which seems very reasonable, to play Pathé vertical cut records. But does it look right? It looks pointed rather than ball-shaped. Any comments much appreciated.

Jamie

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pathe-Sapphi ... SweB1eYqBU


Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 40.78 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:58 pm
Posts: 8
Location: London UK
Hi Jamie,

It's difficult to be sure without a scale in the image but the two I inherited do look hemispherical on the tip. Looking at images of others on the web, they all seem to be rounder than the one on offer.
Unfortunately, I don't have a suitable lens to get a good image of mine...


PS - on further web browsing (and after measuring mine) the tip diameter should be
1/32 inch ( ~ 0.8 mm). This is correctly reported here:-

http://radio-antiks.com/IndexRadio-Anti ... ffusor.htm

but completely wrong on this wikipedia page:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathe_Records


hope this helps
Robin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:32 pm 
Offline
Victor Monarch
User avatar
Needle Tins are Addictive
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm
Posts: 4532
Location: Belmont, North Carolina
The diamond disc styli have sharply pointed tips...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:05 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:52 am
Posts: 347
Location: St. Albans, UK
Thanks for the replies. All I have to go on is the pictures on the web but using the brass post as a point of scale it looks like the stylus being offered isn't wide or hemispherical enough. Basically too pointed. Perhaps the maker was thinking of Edison diamond discs.

I could write to the seller and ask why the point of his stylus doesn't look like this:


Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 14.74 KiB | Viewed 320 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 pm 
Offline
Victor V
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 2051
jamiegramo wrote:
Thanks for the replies. All I have to go on is the pictures on the web but using the brass post as a point of scale it looks like the stylus being offered isn't wide or hemispherical enough. Basically too pointed. Perhaps the maker was thinking of Edison diamond discs.

I could write to the seller and ask why the point of his stylus doesn't look like this:


The point does look rather strange but he seems knowledgeable no ? Although the contact with the Pathé groove might be a bit odd as it looks pointy

I have one left of the ones I had made if you want to offer £30 which was what they cost you can have it :D can't get any more made they were always well liked !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254389665538

Point picture here a ball


Attachments:
apathsty.jpg
apathsty.jpg [ 38.41 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]


Last edited by soundgen on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm 
Offline
Victor V
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 2051
Curt A wrote:
The diamond disc styli have sharply pointed tips...


The diamond disc styli are diamonds :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:52 am
Posts: 347
Location: St. Albans, UK
soundgen wrote:
jamiegramo wrote:
Thanks for the replies. All I have to go on is the pictures on the web but using the brass post as a point of scale it looks like the stylus being offered isn't wide or hemispherical enough. Basically too pointed. Perhaps the maker was thinking of Edison diamond discs.

I could write to the seller and ask why the point of his stylus doesn't look like this:


The point does look rather strange but he seems knowledgeable no ? Although the contact with the Pathé groove might be a bit odd as it looks pointy

I have one left of the ones I had made if you want to offer £30 which was what they cost you can have it :D can't get any more made they were always well liked !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254389665538

Point picture here a ball


Mike,

Does it have a sapphire or glass point? If sapphire I'll definitely take it.

Thanks, Jamie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:11 am 
Offline
Victor V
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 2051
jamiegramo wrote:
soundgen wrote:
jamiegramo wrote:
Thanks for the replies. All I have to go on is the pictures on the web but using the brass post as a point of scale it looks like the stylus being offered isn't wide or hemispherical enough. Basically too pointed. Perhaps the maker was thinking of Edison diamond discs.

I could write to the seller and ask why the point of his stylus doesn't look like this:


The point does look rather strange but he seems knowledgeable no ? Although the contact with the Pathé groove might be a bit odd as it looks pointy

I have one left of the ones I had made if you want to offer £30 which was what they cost you can have it :D can't get any more made they were always well liked !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254389665538

Point picture here a ball


Mike,

Does it have a sapphire or glass point? If sapphire I'll definitely take it.

Thanks, Jamie


Sapphire of course machined by expert stylus !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Content © 2009-2020 by The Talking Machine Forum and the respective posters.
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.