Motor repair advice please

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
poodling around
Victor V

Motor repair advice please

Post by poodling around »

Having mastered replacing and repairing springs I now have a new problem.

With reference to the photograph below:

Essentially, the part numbered '1' moves up and down a little. When it is down (Ie. when the turntable is attached) it does not engage the cog which drives the worm gear (I think it is called) properly so the governor weights do not turn. The effect is that the motor system 'jams'.

I wonder:

Are there ever two ball bearings in the number 2 area ? I have only one in there so maybe I have lost one ?

What does this screw do (Number 3) ? I thought it might move the worm gear up and down but when turned it seems to do nothing ?

Am I missing a washer which should go under the top plate (Number 4) to push Number 1 up a bit ? (The photo shows the motor up-side down).

The top and bottom plates seem to be bolted on properly.

Thank you very much for any help / advice you can give.
Attachments
adviceneeded.jpg
adviceneeded.jpg (364.81 KiB) Viewed 994 times

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: Motor repair advice please

Post by soundgen »

Never 2 ball bearings in 2 , maybe a larger bearing is needed ? Screw 3 locks the governor bearing , bearing plate seems a long way from the motor plate , what is the make of the motor ?

poodling around
Victor V

soundgen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:21 pm Never 2 ball bearings in 2 , maybe a larger bearing is needed ? Screw 3 locks the governor bearing , bearing plate seems a long way from the motor plate , what is the make of the motor ?
Oh, thank you very much indeed soundgen.

Only one ball bearing. Okay. Good.

Why would a larger bearing be required though I wonder ? Would it have simply started to wear away maybe with years of use ?

Oh, there is another ball bearing for the governor. That makes complete sense now you have said it.

I see what you mean about the bearing plate. It won't screw in any more though.

The motor is un-named - I think it may be German ?
Attachments
motora.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Or it is a very rare motor, or the bearing plate should go completely in contact against the motor plate. Could it be that the two screws are not the correct ones? All European motors I've seen have the bearing plate completely screwed down to the motor plate...
Inigo

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Inigo wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:55 pm All European motors I've seen have the bearing plate completely screwed down to the motor plate...
Completely agree.
Every motor I've worked on had that bearing plate screwed down flush with the motor plate, it's never been raised as shown in the photo.
Perhaps the ball bearing thats in there is too big and bearing plate/cap wasn't screwed down to compensate?

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

The fibre spindle gear looks trashed , which is probably why it locks up , may be the lower spindle plate has been lowered to try and get the governor to engage a different part of the spindle gear ,

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Could be that! A trick for those motors that don't have an eccentric governor bearing... The Thorens motors I've had, all then had eccentric bearings, so you can loosen the set screw, rotate the bearing, and so vary the governor meshing with the fibre gear.
These bearing, if you examine it, has an eccentric hole for the governor axis end pin, so you must adjust its position to get different distance and height from the governor axis to the fibre gear. I believe Eric Reiss explained that in The Compleat Talking Machine...?
Anyway, going back to the matter...
I noticed something is placed on the bearing plate screws, between the plate and the motor, are these small washers or springs or something? See the arrow in the photos...
IMG_20210516_100503.jpg
You could disassemble that thing and show us a photo of all the parts in it?
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:03 am Could be that! A trick for those motors that don't have an eccentric governor bearing... The Thorens motors I've had, all then had eccentric bearings, so you can loosen the set screw, rotate the bearing, and so vary the governor meshing with the fibre gear.
These bearing, if you examine it, has an eccentric hole for the governor axis end pin, so you must adjust its position to get different distance and height from the governor axis to the fibre gear. I believe Eric Reiss explained that in The Compleat Talking Machine...?
I noticed something is placed on the bearing plate screws, between the plate and the motor, are these small washers or springs or something? See the arrow in the photos...
IMG_20210516_100503.jpg
Very interesting indeed Inigo.

Could you explain a little more please about 'eccentric governor bearing'. Location of it, alteration of them. Maybe a photo ?

I will take a photo of the part you mentioned soon.

Thank you again.

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:03 am Could be that! A trick for those motors that don't have an eccentric governor bearing... The Thorens motors I've had, all then had eccentric bearings, so you can loosen the set screw, rotate the bearing, and so vary the governor meshing with the fibre gear.
IMG_20210516_100503.jpg
Here we are.

There are two washers on each side.
Attachments
m3.jpg
m3.jpg (304.1 KiB) Viewed 943 times
m2.jpg
m2.jpg (377.89 KiB) Viewed 943 times
m1.jpg
m1.jpg (150.28 KiB) Viewed 943 times

physicist
Victor O

Post by physicist »

If the governor axle is offset from the centre of the brass sleeve, its position can be altered by loosening the locking screw and rotating the brass sleeve.
You can see such an offset in this image of my Collaro motor:-
offcentre_axle.jpg
It looks to me as if the governor bearing in your motor is not eccentric:-
centred_axle.jpg
centred_axle.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 933 times
The brass bearing appears to have the axle exactly in the centre so the position cannot be adjusted by rotating the brass bearing.

You might try removing one of the pairs of washers to see if this shifts the spindle position and improves the meshing.