Best source for Victor springs?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Best source for Victor springs?

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Anyone know the best place for the 1.25", double pear end springs? I'm going to replace at least one of the two in my Victor. Do you need to replace both at a time? I've heard that that's a good idea.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Best source for Victor springs?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Searching the twelve years or so of posts will confirm that it is good to change both springs out at once. Keeps them from being out of balance--one strong one weak--and causing a few problems.

While you're in there it's not a bad idea to swap the governor springs as well.

Check for SimpleLifers (Brian & Julie Parlier) who bought the business of the late Mr Sitko and there you have it--Ron sold good springs at a great price.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

I'll check with them, but I don't think I'll mess around with the governor. It played steady before I disassembled it and I really don't want to mess it up.

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:12 pm I'll check with them, but I don't think I'll mess around with the governor. It played steady before I disassembled it and I really don't want to mess it up.
If the governor is quiet, best leave it alone.

If the weights are not in close tolerance when new, the springs bend out unevenly, not by much, but they do.
This causes uneven wear on the brass teeth on the record spindle gear, and this is where they get noisy over many many years or decades.
The brass governor gear will always wear first, as the governor spindle is hardened steal.
It's designed this way so the brass gear can be easily replaced.

If this has not happened, then don't touch it.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

JeffR1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:52 pm
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:12 pm I'll check with them, but I don't think I'll mess around with the governor. It played steady before I disassembled it and I really don't want to mess it up.

If the weights are not in close tolerance when new, the springs bend out unevenly, not by much, but they do.
This causes uneven wear on the brass teeth on the record spindle gear, and this is where they get noisy over many many years or decades.
The brass governor gear will always wear first, as the governor spindle is hardened steal.

yeah, it was quiet when I used it. Still should probably clean that and the other gears off pretty good.

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:55 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:52 pm

yeah, it was quiet when I used it. Still should probably clean that and the other gears off pretty good.
You don't have to take it apart to clean though.
Put some good cotton rags around things, and go at it with WD40 and tooth brush.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I always remove the governor to clean it properly, but only remove one bearing to do so.
It's not just the worm gear that needs cleaning, but also the central shaft that the disc attached to the weights has to slide along.
By leaving one bearing in place, it can easily be put back in its original position.
If you're only going to do half the cleaning job then why bother cleaning anything at all?
Do it properly the first time and it won't give you problems for decades.

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

The bearing you want to leave in place is on the disc end, it has a round ball that the governor spindle drives against.
As the main turntable spindle turns and rotates the governor gear, it forces its "drive" pressure against that bearing.
The other bearing is adjusted to take up any free-play in the governors shaft.

Also, don't remove the drive gear on the main turntable shaft, changing it's position may make it noisy by changing it's "wear" pattern/position.
And anyone else who is reading this, if that same gear is very worn, it can be turned over to make use of the un-worn teeth.

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

Also found this seller in the UK for springs.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/soundgen/m.htm ... 7675.l2562

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

I've sent a PM to the buyers of Sitko's shop, just waiting on a response.